UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96824)

M0FYA Andy 20th Aug 2020 5:25 pm

Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

The standard Gents Pul-Syn-Etic or Synchronome system of the 1940's advances the slaves every 30 seconds, but both systems could be fitted with additional seconds switches if seconds hands were required on the slaves.

Andy

slidertogrid 18th Sep 2020 10:26 am

When is a Bush a Thorn?

2 Attachment(s)
When is a Bush Ranger mono portable a Ferguson TX9 ? When it's on TV it seems...
This is the TV programme "make me a dealer" The rear view of the set is a Bush Monochrome but then when you see the front view it suddenly becomes a Ferguson colour. What the motor trade calls a cut and shut ! :devil:

Nanozeugma 18th Sep 2020 10:41 am

Re: When is a Bush a Thorn?

I guess if this proves anything, it's an object lesson on how contrived these "programmes" are...

Radio Wrangler 18th Sep 2020 10:49 am

Re: When is a Bush a Thorn?

It's the importance of 'The Look'

Just think how much the TV producers had to pay to get a technician to saw two sets in two and glue the front half of one to the rear of the other.

The telly lot hired the use of a schoolfriend's parent's house for the first 'Last of the summer wine' film. The tale of what they changed to get the look right, and then had to replace afterwards.... Well Paul's folk were very, very, pleased with the full redecoration (to their tastes) new shed and new greenhouse on top of the fee!

The ends these people will go to.

But getting that telly working, now that took skill

David

Graham G3ZVT 20th Sep 2020 12:03 am

I caught the last 20 minutes of "Genevieve" on TPTV this afternoon, an absolutely gorgeous video transfer it is too, surprised me by carrying the "ITV Studios" end-cap complete with the two-note wind instrument , just like after "This Morning".

But I digress.

There are many technical goofs in this film but one I've noticed that hasn't even been catalogued by IMDb, is the BBC interviewer at the start of the run who's microphone changes to a completely different model between shots.

Graham G3ZVT 24th Oct 2020 10:47 pm

Technically not an anachronism, but another kind of temporal error.

Wouldn't it have been better to spin the turntable at a sedate 33 rather than 78RPM?

It would help with the visual narrative, as well as preventing people like me suggesting that the production staff have never seen a record before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cX_PV2070

Malcolm G6ANZ 2nd Nov 2020 8:19 am

I was watching 'The saint' a few day ago, as one does. For some reason the walkie talkie they were using was a Sinclair Micromatic radio. Needless to say it gave perfect transmission and reception over several miles.
Malcolm

Richard_FM 2nd Nov 2020 10:58 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ (Post 1306215)
I was watching 'The saint' a few day ago, as one does. For some reason the walkie talkie they were using was a Sinclair Micromatic radio. Needless to say it gave perfect transmission and reception over several miles.
Malcolm

I remember Dusty Gizmos mentioning one being used in The Saint.

The same site identifies the tape recorders used in Mission: Impossible & Thunderbirds.

Pete_1966 10th Nov 2020 1:16 am

Look up the official music video for Holly Johnson's (he was the lead singer from 'Frankie Goes to Hollywood') popular 1989 hit: 'Americanos' - it features an American family living in a big house with housekeeping staff. The family are watching a lottery draw on a large console TV in their plush living room while the housekeeping and maintenance staff are watching the same lottery on a table top RCA 14-S-7070-G television on the kitchen table. One of the young lads on the staff wins big while the main family have no luck, resulting in their daughter marrying one of the staff to share the loot! Brilliant song and a 'happy' video. Would love to know what is the make and model of the large console TV is in the living room, though - should be a good test for the members here. Also check out the official video of Holly Johnson's song: 'Atomic City' - at the very start, a Hitachi miniature portable TV is being watched by a young couple having a picnic before being lured into the underworld by a mysterious character who happens to be Holly himself. Another test for the members here to identify that model!

broadgage 10th Nov 2020 1:59 am

Something that I have noticed in several TV dramas, including Foyles war and others from that era is odd looking light switches.
Historically correct actual switches, but mounted on very over size wooden mounting blocks.

I suspect that these are non functional and affixed with blue tack or similar, and are very oversized in order to conceal a modern switch.

A very common error in TV dramas in general is when the actor turns on a switch and the room lighting comes up gradually over a second or two, obviously tv studio/stage lighting turned up on a dimmer.
In most cases, nothing important happens in that second or two, and the content could easily be edited to remove it.

Graham G3ZVT 10th Nov 2020 9:16 pm

You were lead to believe that all the houses on Coronation St in the 1980's had switches mounted on surface mounted boxes, yet the wiring was fully concealed.
Yes the set walls were thin, but surely the carpenters could fake something that looked more believable.

They tried to avoid trivial edits back then!

On a typical soap, each scene was recorded as a single VTR take, the first and final scene included the opening and closing credits respectively, they were not done in "post".

Richard_FM 11th Nov 2020 12:06 am

Coronation Street was live in it's early days, sometimes one episode was shown live & the other episode for that week was made right afterwards and recorded. This was so the cast & sets didn't need to re-assembled later in the week.

Crossroads was shot as live for many years, which explains the hit & miss production values.

The Philpott 2nd Dec 2020 1:45 pm

A smile moment last night on TV as the aircraft used in the cross-country low level navigation section of the (not very impressive) Dambusters documentary.....was a Diamond DA61- from Germany. (Engaged in a mock attack on the Derwent dam!)

Dave

broadgage 23rd Jan 2021 9:06 am

Last nigh'ts episode of Foyles war involved a blown fuse in the home of a lady and and this being replaced by a "friend"
The friend stated that the problem was due to someone having "fitted a 3 amp fuse to the ring main"

Don't think that ring circuits were in general use then.
And if they were, failure of the ring circuit fuse would not extinguish the lights as occurred.
And 3 amps was never a widely used size for re-wireable fuses, then or more recently.
The most common sizes were 5amp, 15 amp, and 30 amps, with 10 amps and 20 amps being less common.

McMurdo 30th Jan 2021 12:37 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

The new C4 drama 'Its a Sin'. A New York hotel room with a Ferguson 3840. Did they make a 120V NTSC version?

cathoderay57 24th Feb 2021 10:38 pm

Lucy Worsley Blitz Spirit

I'm sure that many will have watched Lucy Worsley's Blitz Spirit on BBC1 last Tuesday. A good production and a few radios on display. Maybe I'm being pedantic (surely not, I hear you say) but I thought I saw the outbreak of war broadcast being listened to on an HMV 1356 Olympic which didn't appear until 1948....… Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure someone will! Jerry

Peter.N. 25th Feb 2021 12:44 pm

Pre production model?

nigelr2000 23rd May 2021 10:21 pm

Call the midwife tonight 23/05

Did anyone else spot the 1993 Roberts R250 revival being used in the doctor's home to listen to a broadcast from the BBC, I think the program producers must be mixing it up with the original R200 from the 60's shall I email and tell them or let it lie :) hee hee

duncanlowe 24th May 2021 10:17 am

Re: Call the midwife tonight 23/05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelr2000 (Post 1377201)
Did anyone else spot the 1993 Roberts R250 revival being used in the doctor's home to listen to a broadcast from the BBC, I think the program producers must be mixing it up with the original R200 from the 60's shall I email and tell them or let it lie :) hee hee

I saw it but didn't realise it was a modern one.

bill knox 22nd Aug 2021 2:32 pm

Hi All

Just spotted this thread and it has made me laugh.

Going way back to "Heartbeat" when the village bobby used to go around on a small motor bike.

There were several shots of a Pye W15 on the back of the bike with a Cossor CC301 control unit up front, 2 very different manufactures and according to script it worked!!!!!!!!!

There were, I think in Z Cars several scenes where a Pye PF1 Transmitter was used to transmit and receive on the same unit.

Regards

Bill

Peter.N. 23rd Aug 2021 10:51 am

You may also notice that the police car radios work very well with no aerials.

Peter

Guest 23rd Aug 2021 12:38 pm

A Sweeney episode I saw had PF1's used as transceivers or so I thought, they where using the real "one box" PF1C type.

Steve G4WCS 1st Sep 2021 11:51 am

Has anyone been watching “Vigil” the submarine drama thing on BBC1? I wasn't allowed to pause it and take pictures of the telly, but for some odd reason the officers' “office” was crammed with random bits of old test equipment. Sure I spotted a Tektronix scope. R&S signal generator/comms test set, and some Marconi kit in there.

vidjoman 1st Sep 2021 11:59 am

It's available on iPlayer in UHD 4K (if you've got a 4K TV) so you can get a still shot.

Station X 1st Sep 2021 12:16 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...iesId=p09pm7jp

Steve G4WCS 1st Sep 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks graham Ill have a look.

dave walsh 1st Sep 2021 3:53 pm

Yes I saw that but the gear looked good, within the bounds of artistic license, the context and the unavailability of the plans for one of our nuclear subs:D. It reminds me of the follow up to 2001 A Space Odyssey when the Russian Spaceship is all Victorian plumbing and calculators, not computers. The real Nuclear Sub might just be screens and waving hands or eye/thought controlled!
See my other thread today re TPTV and Test Gear8-\

Dave W

Graham G3ZVT 6th Sep 2021 1:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Advance H-1 AF signal generator from 1952, teleported to an episode of "Poirot" set in the '30s.

David Simpson 13th Sep 2021 10:52 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

Calling all ex Matelots, particularly sub-mariners - what's your views on BBC1's "Virgil" drama - Sunday nights 9pm ?
Quite an array of old test equipment, transceivers, etc., in background shots, from the 60's & 70's - Polaris era I would have thought, not Trident.

Regards, David

Phil G4SPZ 16th Jan 2022 5:39 pm

My wife was watching today’s episode of ‘Foyle’s War’ and alerted me to the presence of a wireless set in one scene. It was a 1953 Bush AC34. Yet in another scene there was a genuine pre-war Pilot Little Maestro.

alfatangowhisky 18th May 2022 7:12 pm

I noticed a couple of 'Vega' style Soviet portable TVs mounted to the synth rig of band 'We Are Domi'. Not sure of exact model but it seems they have the distinctive mains adaptor bolted onto the back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61424101

SiriusHardware 26th Oct 2022 7:43 pm

In today's "Dempsey and Makepeace' (ITV4) there was at least one clear view of an ICOM IC-271E 2 metre multimode serving as a 'police communications radio' - on 145.785MHz!

Vintage Engr 27th Oct 2022 10:46 am

The question is, or was,
Did the user hold a licence?

David.

SiriusHardware 27th Oct 2022 10:58 am

I didn't pay too much attention but when the operator picked up the microphone and spoke into it, I don't remember the meter swinging across, so it probably wasn't really transmitting.

This is all quite sad, really - a programme featuring Glynis Barber - the real reason anyone ever watched it, obviously - and here I am fixating on radios. Apparently she joined the cast of Hollyoaks this year, so she's still around.

There was also a character using a Pye/Philips 'shaver' microphone in a vehicle, no sign of the radio it was allegedly connected to but the microphone was probably period-correct and not anachronistic.

Radio Wrangler 27th Oct 2022 12:32 pm

The Icom transceiver was of the era the programme was made and set in, so it wasn't anachronistic, it was simply wrong.

There was most probably no antenna connected anyway.

"I had a go with the microphone, but didn't press PTT" would have Americas laughing.

David

SiriusHardware 27th Oct 2022 12:43 pm

I think I've always misunderstood 'anachronistic' as meaning 'incorrect / out of place', but the '...chron...' part should have given it away, I guess. I'll know better in future.

Station X 27th Oct 2022 12:51 pm

I've seen a Trio 9R59DS comms receiver masquerading as a transmitter. Can't remember the programme though.

Beobloke 27th Oct 2022 1:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)
There's an advert for Co-op Funerals running on TV currently where a lady explains her love of music and dancing throughout her life and how she wants her funeral to reflect this. It ends with her reaching out to turn up a 'volume knob' and her music gets louder.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has noticed that her hi-fi system has a turntable, tuner, cassette deck and speakers but no amplifier, and the 'volume control' she's turning up is actually the record level control on the Technics cassette deck?!

Phil__G 27th Oct 2022 1:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Context: I build R/C equipment & fly model aircraft.
A long time ago there was a kids film called 'Sky Pirates' in which the baddies hijacked an R/C model in flight to transport stolen diamonds over the channel. They did this using a B40 comms rx fitted with a coathanger aerial and, crucially, motorcycle indicators :)

Phil__G 27th Oct 2022 1:58 pm

Also, can any R/C enthusiasts spot the Sanwa Sabre-2 ? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGxwUil530

Herald1360 27th Oct 2022 5:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil__G (Post 1508958)
A long time ago there was a kids film called 'Sky Pirates' in which the baddies hijacked an R/C model in flight to transport stolen diamonds over the channel. They did this using a B40 comms rx fitted with a coathanger aerial and, crucially, motorcycle indicators :)

Looks more like a bent bi quad set top TV aerial than a couple of coathangers to me......

Richard_FM 27th Oct 2022 10:12 pm

Quote:

This also features a Thorn 980 portable TV in the back of the Land Rover.

Radio Wrangler 27th Oct 2022 10:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beobloke (Post 1508944)
Please tell me I'm not the only one who has noticed that her hi-fi system has a turntable, tuner, cassette deck and speakers but no amplifier, and the 'volume control' she's turning up is actually the record level control on the Technics cassette deck?!

The logo to the top right of the big knob the hand is reaching for looks to be Technics' "Super Class A" symbol. Usually only found on amplifiers, so I guess the window sort of surface to the left will be the obligatory pair of big meters
rather than the cassette door. Awkward angle unless you know them.

David

Junk Box Nick 28th Oct 2022 9:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusHardware (Post 1508888)
This is all quite sad, really - a programme featuring Glynis Barber - the real reason anyone ever watched it, obviously - and here I am fixating on radios. Apparently she joined the cast of Hollyoaks this year, so she's still around.

Thanks for that. I was desperately trying to remember her name. (I kept thinking of Glynis Johns but that is an earlier period.) I was very active on 144MHz around that time and never spotted the ICOM IC-271E at all. Must have been distracted...

Phil__G 28th Oct 2022 10:23 am

Soolin from Blakes-7 :) again, the only reason to watch it... :)

ms660 28th Oct 2022 11:00 am

Quote:

Yes, it's the record level control, the cassette deck looks very much like a Technics RS-BX606:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOONPmu6Dw

Lawrence.

Radio Wrangler 28th Oct 2022 11:09 am

Looking further down the thing that does look like a cassette door. Hmm, so what's that logo doing on a cassette deck?

David

ms660 28th Oct 2022 11:25 am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1509162)
Looking further down the thing that does look like a cassette door. Hmm, so what's that logo doing on a cassette deck?

David

A screen shot from a Technics RS-B565 owners manual.

Lawrence.

Beobloke 28th Oct 2022 12:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1509080)
Quote:

The logo to the top right of the big knob the hand is reaching for looks to be Technics' "Super Class A" symbol. Usually only found on amplifiers, so I guess the window sort of surface to the left will be the obligatory pair of big meters
rather than the cassette door. Awkward angle unless you know them.

David

I do know them. It's a Technics cassette deck featuring the Class AA logo in the top right hand corner above the record level control. You can even see the text 'REC LEVEL' just below it.

As has been said, most likely an RS-BX606.

Graham G3ZVT 28th Oct 2022 9:26 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

You really need a T1154 to fly a model plane!

Attachment 267055
And a lot more too. See what else you can identify. I first saw this film in boarding school in 1961.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M82SDMGmkXA