UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help with a wiring diagram (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176907)

BrianAllen 21st Feb 2021 8:41 pm

Help with a wiring diagram

1 Attachment(s)
Good evening all,

Would somebody let me know what the broken/dashed line is on the attached diagram please.

Thank you.

pmmunro 21st Feb 2021 8:46 pm

Re: Help with a wiring diagram

It shows that the two switch poles are mechanically linked and so must operate together.

PMM

BrianAllen 21st Feb 2021 8:51 pm

As usual a prompt response on the forum.

Thank you.

Brian

wireman 22nd Feb 2021 8:33 pm

Normally denoted a Douple Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch.

wireman 22nd Feb 2021 9:51 pm

I noticed the typo too late to edit...

Radio Wrangler 22nd Feb 2021 10:59 pm

You'll see the same sort of thing showing ganged potentiometers or ganged capacitors linked together. Sometimes a switch linked to a pot (eg vol control with on/off switch)

David

stevehertz 23rd Feb 2021 9:11 am

By the way, to be correct, that is a 'circuit diagram' or 'schematic diagram'. A wiring diagram is used to show the wireman building it, or a repairman the physical layout of the wiring. Also sometimes called a layout diagram. Just for info.

BrianAllen 24th Feb 2021 11:25 am

Thank you for your posts; very helpful.

No problem stevehertz; I always like to know correct terminology/descriptions.

Brian

Graham G3ZVT 25th Feb 2021 3:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1345169)
You'll see the same sort of thing showing ganged potentiometers or ganged capacitors linked together. Sometimes a switch linked to a pot (eg vol control with on/off switch)

David

Is there not a slight semantic inconsistency here?

Mechanically linked switch contacts are called "poles".

"Gangs", in the context of switches, is reserved as the collective noun for individual switches mounted together.

broadgage 25th Feb 2021 4:23 am

Terminolgy is not allways consistent in such matters.
A "3 gang" light switch is generally understood to mean 3 electrically independant switches mounted on the same faceplate. Widely used for three lights in the same room. 3 switch contacts operated by the same rocker or knob would be called a 3 pole switch (used to isolate bathroom extract fans with a neutral, fixed live, and switched live)

"Ganged potentiometers" however is generally understood to mean two potentiometers operated by the same shaft. For example to alter the volume of both channels of a stereo amplifier with a single control.
2 gang potentometers are common, more than 2 gang do exist but are rare.

Older editions of the wiring regulations DID call for a "ganged switch" to isolate the incoming electricity supply to a building. This was what we now call a 2 pole switch. Very early types were two physically seperate switches with a wooden rod that linked the operating handles.

Radio Wrangler 25th Feb 2021 9:37 am

I very carefully used the word 'Ganged' for pots and capacitors, but I said 'linked' for a combined switch/pot unit. I never even mentioned multi-pole switches by any name.

David