UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sony VHS Tape Recorder Chewing Tape On Eject (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172425)

DMcMahon 24th Oct 2020 8:57 pm

Sony VHS Tape Recorder Chewing Tape On Eject

5 Attachment(s)
Looking at a Sony SLV-SE810G VHS recorder for a friend who reports it chews up the tape when tape is ejected, but otherwise works OK.

Just got it open tonight and need to find a VHS tape buried in my attic somewhere, my friend did not provide a tape.

Have very occasionally done a little VHS repair work over the years but not very knowledgeable on them, so if anybody has any tips what to look out for, it would be much appreciated.

One strange thing, there was tape label fitted over a see through plastic shaft (Photos 1, 2 & 3), it had a clean round hole in the label to fit over the shaft as if someone had intentionally fitted it. I have removed it as it does not look like it should be here ?

David

Michael Maurice 24th Oct 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Sony VHS Tape Recorder Chewing Tape On Eject

It shouldn’t be there, it was probably the cause of your fault in the first place!

John123 24th Oct 2020 10:08 pm

Wondering if perhaps the label fell off an old cassette and then sat there until another tape was then inserted over the top of it, causing a 'hole punch' effect!

The only other issue I've had with Sony's is the tape snagging on the half-loading arm, which can sometimes retract too slowly as the grease dries out, or from lack of use. You can see the arm to the right of the top-right corner of that tape label (first image). It should move back and forth quite freely.

dave walsh 24th Oct 2020 10:53 pm

You seem so experienced David. I'm amazed that you didn't have a blank VHS tape but I do understand that the [really] competent people are inclined to think "Been there, Done that, It was easy, Move on! I'm a bit the opposite ie still trying to catch up:-)

Dave

Michael Maurice 24th Oct 2020 11:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by John123 (Post 1303309)

The only other issue I've had with Sony's is the tape snagging on the half-loading arm, which can sometimes retract too slowly as the grease dries out, or from lack of use. You can see the arm to the right of the top-right corner of that tape label (first image). It should move back and forth quite freely.

Not on that deck John.

ben 24th Oct 2020 11:55 pm

These are amongst the last of the Sonys, perhaps the penultimate mech. As Michael says the sticky half load arm is not a problem on these.

Do make sure you remove that auto head cleaner arm to the right of the drum. The foam is likely to have perished and gone sticky, this can wreck the tape and even the heads.

Another fault I have had on these is the white idler assembly splitting and disintegrating. I still have a combo unit awaiting a donor! This would cause tape chewing and poor take up, you would hear it whining in fast wind if so. But let's not jump the gun until you have tried it out, hopefully the label was the only problem.

DMcMahon 25th Oct 2020 12:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave walsh (Post 1303323)
You seem so experienced David. I'm amazed that you didn't have a blank VHS tape but I do understand that the [really] competent people are inclined to think "Been there, Done that, It was easy, Move on! I'm a bit the opposite ie still trying to catch up

Plenty of tapes Dave but archived away in the attic hidden under loads of stuff
but did find a couple.

David

DMcMahon 25th Oct 2020 12:08 am

Thank you to everybody for their useful inputs.

Tried 2 tapes and could not fault it, so hopefully the tape label was the culprit. I found out that the plastic shaft the label was on goes up into a hole in the underside of the tape cassette to remove the brakes off the tape spools. So as John suggests a label must have come off the top of a tape and got pushed down onto the shaft during a load of a tape.

I gave the whole area a good clean, quite a lot of dirty dust/fluff and a little lubrication where required. I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition. Nothing seemed stiff and everything appeared to move/operate easily.

Tomorrow will hand it back for my friend to test it out.

David

ben 25th Oct 2020 1:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1303345)
I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition.

At the risk of labouring the point, you need to remove that cleaner roller assembly completely. Even when the foam is in good condition, it is like using the same q-tip to clean your ears with for your whole life. They end up re-depositing dirt onto the drum.

That foam will deteriorate sooner rather than later, I have seen that sticky mess wreck tapes and, on a few occasions, destroy the heads on the drum. If I were you I'd do your friend a favour and get rid, as 'pre-emptive maintenance'.

DMcMahon 25th Oct 2020 9:52 am

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you Ben, no problem labouring the point, I had not fully digested your original recommendation to remove it.

It is now removed and I will shortly return the unit.

My friend should be pleased, in fact he should be very pleased as I am also taking back 3 other repairs for him, a sandwich toaster, a waffle maker and a CD/DVD player. While there I am also going to power up his Fisher X-100-A valve amp.

He recently sold it and it got damaged (broken valves and broken wooden case) during shipment and had to be returned. He was lucky that the wood breaks were all clean at interface joints so has been able to glue them back neatly. He has new valves and wants me to fit and check it out. I hope it does not end up me bringing it back home (if problems) as I have enough to do already.

David

vidjoman 25th Oct 2020 9:58 am

Quote:

I found out that the plastic shaft the label was on goes up into a hole in the underside of the tape cassette to remove the brakes off the tape spools.

David

That 'shaft' is actually an LED that shines through the cassette to detect that there is tape in the cassette and also to shut the drive off when you get to the end of the tape clear leader.

DMcMahon 25th Oct 2020 12:58 pm

Yes had seen a reference to LED, it must do the 2 jobs then, as it definitely seemed to line up with the hole on the underside of the cassette that releases the spool brakes.

David

gallowfields 25th Oct 2020 8:13 pm

this model is made by samsung there are also toshiba versions as well .just as a matter of interest

Maarten 25th Oct 2020 10:00 pm

Are you sure? This one seems a last generation Sony-made machine, at the very least the electronics.

Michael Maurice 25th Oct 2020 10:29 pm

That’s is definitely not a Samsung.

Richard_FM 26th Oct 2020 11:52 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben (Post 1303349)
Quote:

I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition.

At the risk of labouring the point, you need to remove that cleaner roller assembly completely. Even when the foam is in good condition, it is like using the same q-tip to clean your ears with for your whole life. They end up re-depositing dirt onto the drum.

That foam will deteriorate sooner rather than later, I have seen that sticky mess wreck tapes and, on a few occasions, destroy the heads on the drum. If I were you I'd do your friend a favour and get rid, as 'pre-emptive maintenance'.

I have a Sony SLV-E730UX which is a slightly earlier design. I was wondering how easy it was to remove to remove the head cleaner. I've downloaded the service manual but it only shows the play mechanism after a fair amount of earlier disassembly.

HamishBoxer 26th Oct 2020 11:57 am

The head cleaner should just pop off.

steve1010uk 26th Oct 2020 12:12 pm

Like gallowfields i was also thinking that's a Samsung machine also badged Toshiba,
The ones that had many problems with the eeprom going haywire and needing reprogramming,
or perhaps i have got it wrong ?

Steve

DMcMahon 26th Oct 2020 12:35 pm

Yes the head cleaner just pulled off very easily, without having to disassemble anything (apart from remove the top cover of course).

David

ben 26th Oct 2020 4:09 pm

On some decks, you need to twist the head cleaner assembly 90ยบ so that a plastic tab/spigot can locate in a gap, allowing it to be lifted off.

Other designs, you can remove the upper part, the arm/roller foam, leaving part of the lower am in place.

Always be very careful when working in close proximity to the drum! Power should always be off as well, in case the thing tries to start up as you block the light/IR sensors.