UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pye wireless intercom PTC1001 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161485)

PJL 18th Nov 2019 11:30 am

Pye wireless intercom PTC1001

I bought this for £8 at a junk shop purely from curiosity as it was missing the instructions label on the bottom and I could not work out what it was for. I know now I need 2 of them to be of any use!

It is a wireless intercom that communicates over the mains wiring and includes 3 valves which I presume form an amplifier and modulator. Has anyone ever got a pair working?

This one is missing the knobs but is otherwise in very good condition and looks like something out of a 50's film.

AC/HL 18th Nov 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Pye wireless intercom PTC1001

1 Attachment(s)
Instructions, cribbed from a convenient eBay posting.

Lancs Lad 18th Nov 2019 12:54 pm

Is it just me, or does having what amounts to an 'optional' earth connection seem odd to anyone else?

"Oh, you can earth it if you feel like it, but it doesn't really matter." ??? :o

G6Tanuki 18th Nov 2019 1:13 pm

Probably because back when it was made there were still loads of 2-pin power outlets (5 or 15 amp) in service, so there may have been nowhere to connect the earth!

Lancs Lad 18th Nov 2019 3:58 pm

Yes, G6Tanuki, I had realised that myself!

So, in light of that fact, what was the point of providing an earth connection at all in the first place? ;D

Any chance of a picture, please, PJL?

usradcoll1 18th Nov 2019 6:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJL (Post 1192603)
I bought this for £8 at a junk shop purely from curiosity as it was missing the instructions label on the bottom and I could not work out what it was for. I know now I need 2 of them to be of any use!

It is a wireless intercom that communicates over the mains wiring and includes 3 valves which I presume form an amplifier and modulator. Has anyone ever got a pair working?

This one is missing the knobs but is otherwise in very good condition and looks like something out of a 50's film.

They do work very well! I have a pair of the three valve units, offered as a kit. The only hitch is they have to be powered from the same live plus neutral, as they won't transmit through a distribution transformer.
The US wiring scheme is 120-N-120 single phase in many places.
There was a terminal on the chassis rear for earthing as an alternative to possibly use an earth as a transmitting means. Never tried it. :zzz:
Dave, always trying something different. :thumbsup:

PJL 18th Nov 2019 7:52 pm

I suspect the switch is to specify the wire the RF will be injected to. The unit itself is AC/DC.

PJL 19th Nov 2019 1:06 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Pics attached