UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2008, 6:41 pm   #1
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mystery radio

I was given this radio a while ago and havn't a clue what model, manufacturer , anything. The valves were not in the radio when it was given to me.
Could anyone give me a clue?
any questions just ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown radio small.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	15924   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown radio back .jpg
Views:	338
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	15925  

Last edited by samthelemming; 23rd Mar 2008 at 6:51 pm.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 6:58 pm   #2
Hoveradio
Pentode

Default Re: Mystery radio

Hi Sam,I think that it is a Windsor or something like that.I don't know if that is the model or the make of it.I remember seeing one at the NVCF a couple of years back and then another one at a BVWS bring and buy fairly recently.I'm sure other members will be able to confirm this or not.
Regards John.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 8:12 pm   #3
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

A further question
The marks left where a tape, a bit stronger than cellotape, was put over the glass onto the bakelite has left marks, any ideas how to get rid of them ?
and the white plastic has gone wonky and miss-shaped, is there a way of getting it any better or would looking at making a one out of a thin wooden batton be a good ides ?
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 8:47 pm   #4
Ian B
Hexode

Hi Sam,

The glue from tape can usually be removed with a bit of white spirit or if that fails, methylated spirit. Bear in mind that meths will dissolve a French polish finish - this is obviously won't apply to a bakelite cabinet, but it's best to be careful.

An unusual radio - good luck with it!

Ian Blackbourn
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 8:57 pm   #5
Top Cap
Octode

Wow! What a lovely radio to restore. I can only guess that perhaps the 6K8/6K7/6Q7/6V6/5Y3 series may fit or perhaps the Mullard red series ECH35 etc. I would certainly derust and finish the chassis with perhaps a metalic paint that I used in my B28/CR100 restorations. I use a few sprays of red oxide primer followed by Halfords metal finish paint. Not too sure what to do with the escucheon, I would be tempted to leave it as it adds its own character, just try to make any obvious repairs to it a bit more invisible.
What a nice project, hope all the expensive hardware like transformers are ok. Absolutely no idea who made that, especially with that dial, could it be a schools radio?

Last edited by Top Cap; 23rd Mar 2008 at 9:03 pm.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:10 pm   #6
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

I have looked at the chassis and it would seem someone scratched the valve number into the metal,

I can clearly read PEN46, and im going to have another look at the others now
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:17 pm   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Mystery radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthelemming View Post
A further question
The marks left where a tape, a bit stronger than cellotape, was put over the glass onto the bakelite has left marks, any ideas how to get rid of them ?
and the white plastic has gone wonky and miss-shaped, is there a way of getting it any better or would looking at making a one out of a thin wooden batton be a good ides ?
WD40 is good for removing sticky things and is safe on most surfaces, good for lots of things. You could try gentle heat, hot water, to straighten up the plastic.

Geof
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:21 pm   #8
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Right, I tried my best to decode the scribles and I got,

PEN46
TL41/DD
TH41
4UP41
and there was no other scrible for the 5th valve
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:23 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthelemming View Post
I can clearly read PEN46, and im going to have another look at the others now
I would treat this with suspicion, though it's not impossible. A PEN46 is a very unusual valve to find in a radio set. It's actually a 1930s TV valve.

It's however possible that your radio has been designed around military surplus parts. Quite a few small manufacturers did this in the 1940s as huge amounts of WW2 components became available cheaply. PEN46s could well have been used in WW2 radar displays.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0137.htm

Paul
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:25 pm   #10
Top Cap
Octode

The PEN46 had a mazda octal base, the central keyway spigot is a bit larger than the usual international octal. I wonder if the other bases are Mazda Octal too, the old SP41's spring to mind. They had 4V filaments like the PEN46 has. Very interesting, perhaps dating this chassis a little earlier than I at first thought.
Les

PS Ithink we are all typing at the same time LOL, Yes the other valves you list have 4V heaters.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:27 pm   #11
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I allso looked it up and thought "hrmmm" but its theonly really clear one , possibly the surpless idea you had was a good one.

I shall have a go at comparing the bases to a british one
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:32 pm   #12
Top Cap
Octode

Any ideas on the rectifier? IW4/350 perhaps?
Nah! wrong Base..what's up with me LOL
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:32 pm   #13
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Yes definetly a bigger hole in the middle, allthough you wouldn't have known without looking hard
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:42 pm   #14
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

This radio seems to have a similar valve line up
Extract from web:-
"Wavebands - SW, MW, LW

Valves - TH41, VP41, Pen45DD, UU6

Date - 1945

This is a large set manufactured just after the Second World War. The grey painted chassis is substantial, with separate sub-chassis sections around the waveband switch wafers - it looks more like a piece of military equipment!"
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 9:52 pm   #15
Top Cap
Octode

Yep, Great minds think alike,I just trawled the web and found quite a few radios with similar Mazda lineups like TH41/VP41/HL41DD/PEN45 and all used the UU6. I reckon you will have to do some reverse engineering to obtain a clearer picture, not too bad usually until you get into the front end circuitry.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 10:06 pm   #16
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

I have taken the chassis out and the hole with no number has 6 connections to its octale base, if this is any help
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 10:11 pm   #17
Top Cap
Octode

Just wondering if the dial used to be a glass affair with all the wavebands painted on it. Maybe it was broken at some time and a makeshift version fitted, I do not think it would have left the factory with that dial.
Now we have the benefits of drawing packages on PC's, it would be fairly easy to make a better version. I would make a temporary one first of all with reference dots on the scales, then use a signal generator to locate various frequency points on the dial, mark them on the temporary ref points, then fill in the figs on the PC for the final printed version. I did a similar job on a B28/CR100 roller dial using in those days a BBC Micro, but it came out very well for what I had to print it out at the time.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 10:17 pm   #18
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

I have to admit to tampering with the dial, the original is under the paper, but it is so rusty and the paint is flaky I drew up the paper one myself and it is lightly help on by string as a tempory. I shall post the photo of the original dile in a second when I find it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dial mystery radio.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	15937  
Old 24th Mar 2008, 12:11 am   #19
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

I have had a go at useing photoshop to bring some of the dial back to life, im half way there, have to finish last wavelength and add text
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	restored idaljpg1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	15940  
Old 24th Mar 2008, 2:38 pm   #20
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

After looking very hard, I noticed a name under ALOT! of dirt, I had never seen it before nor herd it, Its says
Money Hicks Ltd, 4684

any ideas?
Closed Thread