UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2017, 5:32 pm   #1
AlanGI0OTC
Diode

Default AR88 Trimmers

Been sorting through my "treasure" boxes, wife calls them junk !
Came across these new trimmers, at one time they were wrapped in paper labled AR88.
If someone can identify them, I will donate them to a good home.

Regards
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	146699  
Old 24th Jul 2017, 4:22 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: AR88 Trimmers

Hi Alan, thanks for going to the trouble of joining the forum and posting, it's always good to hear of NOS component finds- by definition, they're an ever-rarer breed!

They are indeed AR88 receiver trimmer capacitors, their USP is very small chassis footprint (the front-end of this 6 band, four-gang tuning set is kinda busy), though I expect that good stability and low self-inductance also feature. Other than the AR88, they aren't seen much on this side of the Atlantic, though Marconi's 858- a three-band chassis with a fourth band shoe-horned in- features them on the highest HF band, where they had to be squeezed in on any spare postage-stamp of chassis. (I think there was a pre-war tie-up between RCA and Marconi). Possibly, they are more common in US equipment of the era.

The AR88 features (at least) two different lengths and consequent capacity swings. They're pretty reliable- possibly explaining why no-one else has piped up- but the plating can flake and cause shorts occasionally.

If you don't have a destination for them and no-one here calls out with an immediate need, I'd be happy for spares and to be a parts stock for anyone else on the forum with one of these fine sets,

Colin
Old 25th Jul 2017, 12:07 am   #3
AlanGI0OTC
Diode

Default Re: AR88 Trimmers

Hello Colin, thanks for the useful info. If you send me a PM with your address I'll stick em in a Jiffy bag for you.

Cheers.
Alan
Closed Thread