UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 11:42 pm   #1
Nightcruiser
Pentode

Default HMV Cavendish bulb question.

I have been given a very attractive two tone wedgewood blue HMV Cavendish fan heater but the internal bulb has blown.

Once this heater has been fully serviced and the elements and wiring checked over i shall use it, but my question is; can or should the bulb be lit when using the fan heater and would a fireglow 60w bulf be a satisfactory replacement?

John.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 8:04 am   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HMV Cavendish bulb question.

Mine has a 'two for a pound' Poundland fireglow lamp in it, which is quite satsfactory, but is rather bright for my taste. A 15W type might be a better choice.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 12:59 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

I've got a fireglow bulb in mine, it's a bit bright, but I like it!

Don't forget to oil the motor every January 1st, as per instructions.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 2:12 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: HMV Cavendish bulb question.

Hi,
The lamp usually lights as soon as the heater is plugged in, regardless of the heat or fan settings. That was always my experience anyway.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 2:21 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If a standard fireglow is too bright, sneak a 1N5406 in in series with it. Half power and maybe even a bit of flicker since it will get 50Hz not 100Hz pulses.

Something like this might be more in keeping.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/15w-bc-col...bulb-red-ds49d
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Jul 2017, 1:04 am   #6
Nightcruiser
Pentode

That's a great idea. Thank you all.

I didn't intend to use it as a room heater as it doesn't appear to be that well heat insulated from the flooring on the 2kw setting, but modified as an illuminated cool air fan for the bedside it would be fine for what I wanted.
Old 25th Jul 2017, 7:17 am   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I agree about the insulation, and always sit mine on the hearth when in use. The louvres also direct more hot air than I'd like onto the floor immediately in front of the heater.
Having said that, countless numbers of them were used for years on carpets with no apparent problem.
Closed Thread