UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2017, 1:19 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Small Sidecutter Recommendation

Could anyone recommend a good quality pair of small side cutters?

I've found the Maplins ones (several types) may as well be sold as disposable quite frankly, as they either became blunt very quickly, or were simply blunt to the begin with.

I could understand it if I'd been cheeky and cut things I shouldn't have, but they were only used for component leads and wires, pretty standard.

Like a lot of things I've come to the conclusion I'll be better off ordering something quality online.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 1:37 pm   #2
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Default Re: Small Sidecutter Reccommendation

Hi when I worked for BT I was issued with a pair of Knipex side cutters and 20 years later they still are sharp ( they are not cheap )

Dave
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:10 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a couple of pairs of Lindstrom ones that have stayed sharp.
They are a bit expensive but they have lasted many years and have been used for cutting things they should not be used for.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:10 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

I am still using the Xuron Microshears that I was issued with by Plessey in the early 1970's. There are a lot of far eastern copies about, but the original Xuron ones (made in USA) are often stocked by shops that sell model railway accessories; the larger version is marketed as a "track cutter" for cutting rails to length.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:24 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Lindstrom are the best in my opinion , in 1964 when I started work a pair of Lindstrom cutters were more than a weeks wages , I bought a pair recently around £40 a Swiss company , made in Spain! They are very good. Mick.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:28 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The Lindstrom 'box-jointed' ones are well worth the money if you can be sure you won't lose them or have someone-else 'borrow' them.

[Same goes for the old "Footprint" yellow-handled screwdrivers traditionally labelled as "Post Office Instrument No. x" ]
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:34 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

I rather like these for the money - use them every day: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00841YA44/

They sting a little less if you kill them compared to a pair of Lindstroms
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:47 pm   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

They are OK but don't go cutting anything hard like springs or you will have a nice hole in your cutters , been there done that .Mick.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 3:14 pm   #9
paulsherwin

I bought a no name pair from Proops in Tottenham Court Road in about 1983 and they're still going strong, despite a fair amount of abuse. The fine nosed pliers that I bought at the same time are also still in regular use. Not all cheapies are junk!
Old 21st Jul 2017, 4:00 pm   #10
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi, I use RS Stock No. 548-164 for component wires as these have a spring clip that retains the snipped off lead.
Pete
Old 21st Jul 2017, 4:51 pm   #11
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

The cheap Chinese blue-handled copies of Plato ones are much better than I expected for the price, and worth having half a dozen of in addition to a "best" pair.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 5:07 pm   #12

Lindstrom (I lost mine after 30 years of use, still sharp then) or CK box joint ones, a lot cheaper and will last. Add a large inexpensive pair to stop you using the posh ones for big work.

Old 21st Jul 2017, 8:21 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

For me, Lindstrom or CK for PCB type work (I got a good deal on CK cutters and pliers from a tool shop that was closing down, I've been using them for 20 years or more with no problems, but then I don't _misuse_ them). For heavier work (like cutting spring wire) I have a pair of Knipex side cutters.

But then I am not rich enough to buy cheap tools...
Old 21st Jul 2017, 9:29 pm   #14
Goldieoldie
Octode

Bought ck many years ago and still going strong.Dont know if same quality today ?
Old 21st Jul 2017, 9:49 pm   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

I have found Swiss-made cutters by Erem very good. Better finished than Lindstrom! Used on a professional level they are sharp after 10 years and I've no doubt they will see me to retirement!

Only trouble is, with the vast range (side cutters, end cutters, flush cut, bevel cut, what size, w.h.y.,) what to go for? I chose the 2222E.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 10:40 pm   #16
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Small Sidecutter Recommendation

For a medium quality cutter I have found Roebuck pretty good value. Also I still use a pair of cheap side cutters branded Hills bought from CPC, they were made in Germany and are standing up really well to regular use.
Chris
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:50 pm   #17
Refugee
Dekatron

My Lindstrom cutters have by there side my supercutters to save them from abuse.
They are the piano wire grade ones and are slightly more heavy than the usual ones but have been used to cut small wire nails on the odd occasion.
The big ones came in a pack of three from a flea market for about 10 to 15 quid and have been used to clear an access point to a cycle track along an old railway.
The hacked there way through mangled 1960s railway grade fence wire and huge brambles easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4276.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	146599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4280.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	146600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4281.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	146601  

Last edited by Refugee; 21st Jul 2017 at 11:56 pm. Reason: vrey silly typo
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 12:01 am   #18
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I have used CK for quite a few years now without problems. I have two sizes of sidecutters. This reduces the temptation for abuse and breakage. I managed to break my Lindstrom ones "retained" from a previous employer by simply cutting a small cable tie so be warned. I was gutted. I still have some Lindstrom snipe nose pliers. I would recommend CK tools as a good middle range choice. I think I bought my last pair of cutters from ESR Electronics.
Alan.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 6:42 am   #19
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd agree with the CK being good middle-choice. Nice finish, the basic steel isn't as hard as the best tool steel, but they do a good job.

The Erem tools have a superb internal spring contained in a machined cavity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	146611  
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 4:29 pm   #20
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've got a 6" pair of CK "piano wire" sidecutters that have stood up to everything I've thrown at them for 50 odd years. 6BA steel screw- Pfui! A bit hunky for fine work, but fine for vintage electronics.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread