UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:07 am   #1
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Default Checking that capacitors are discharged.

What do experienced members of the forums do to ensure all capacitors are inert before going in with both hands?
Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:40 am   #2
JacKam_
Pentode

Default Re: Checking that capacitors are discharged.

Depends on capacity and nominal voltage, so you know what charge it can store. If it is above 0.0002 [C] AND nominal voltage is > 50 [v] I usually short-circuit all the terminals with a piece if wire.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:40 am   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Use an earthing wand or a Brinkley stick (discharge resistor then short-cct).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:43 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Be aware also of dielectric absorption where the charge is regained, and if you're going to be in there some time, leave the capacitor terminal connections strapped together.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 1:21 pm   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I avoid direct short circuiting the capacitor terminals for high capacity and high voltage capacitors. Sparks fly and the terminals get damaged with the analogy of spot weld marks. It also might be possible to damage the capacitor, in some cases, with the high peak current. Its best to have some current limiting so a 47R or 100R 5W resistor is fine for practically any capacitor, connected to two crocodile clips. And as suggested by Russell w b, it is best to leave them shorted if you can, as the terminal voltage can climb up after a brief short due to dielectric absorption.

In a lot of vintage gear, bleeder resistors were added across the main filter caps, so if you wait a few minutes they discharge. But these magically disappeared in a lot of modern switch-mode psu's that can be quite hazardous if not discharged before going in to work on them.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 1:51 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Bleeder resistors have an annoying habit of quietly going open-circuit with age.

I've used in the past a homemade 'death stick' - a length of clear plastic tube with a terminal one end, a resistor-chain and a NE-2 type neon, with a trailing croc-clip lead to connect to earth. Poke all likely high-voltage points before getting any closer!
Old 14th Jul 2017, 1:52 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

We never had a problem with directly shorting out capacitors, and I'm talking up to 50uF at 22kV. It was expected they'd be discharged at switch-off. In fact, a direct earth was applied as the interlocked enclosure was entered. The wand was a necessary back-up. It does seem a tad severe on the capacitors, having said that, but the BBC always used direct earthing on their transmitter smoothing enclosures. The RAF RADAR lot use Brinkley sticks and apply the resistor first.

For electrolytics, I would avoid direct discharge and use a one or two incandescent lamps as a discharge resistor (of course, you need to check they work first or you're no better off), so it can be seen to be discharged. Then short it out. I've seen tools damaged by the energy stored in SMPSU mains caps and it isn't pleasant: most certainly a danger to eyes.

My Beethoven exploder has a 5.6k resistor applied to the 8uF 1600V cap if the key is withdrawn with a charge applied.

A quick check with a multimeter is always worthwhile too, before 'diving in'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 2:05 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

I like circuits that discharge their capacitors when powered 'off'. Most do, but there are exceptions.

Valve radios sometimes have a bleeder chain to feed the screen grids of IF and Frequency changer valves, and this does the job fine - but sometimes there is just a dropper resistor, and although when switching off, the valves discharge the HT electrolytics, when the valves have cooled the aforementioned dielectric soakage can cause the voltage to climb again. Battery valve radios can be horrors because the valves only stay hot enough to draw current for half a second!

As to how to discharge, I use a low-value resistor (depending on voltage). Direct short-circuits are good fun, but can cause damage, and zap-marks are unsightly. So I avoid it.

I have seen high-voltage (well, 1600V) capacitors supplied with shorting links for storage, and this is good practice.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 2:27 pm   #9
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi, For simple radio reservoir/filter capacitors I always have one of these hung up in easy reach near my work bench. It performs a controlled discharge with indication of the voltage plus you can remove it and re-apply after a pause to check if there is any significant re-charge. However whatever you use you must test it and trust it, in industry our procedures were to check the checker prior to measurement and after measurement on an approved volt source.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steinel.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	146182  

Last edited by G4_Pete; 14th Jul 2017 at 2:31 pm. Reason: typo
Old 14th Jul 2017, 3:19 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

in with the avo first and then a 100W lightbulb on the end of 2 probes or my drummond test lamp. Then check again with a meter.

I dont do much EHT stuff but ionisers, antistatic generators, fence energisers and insectocutors just get the screwdriver treatment.

The last big electrolytic I discharged was rather by accident, I was checking it for voltage and mone of my probes brushed a metal upstand on a power resistor; something like 10,000uF at 50V and I lost the end of my multimeter probe, the bang made me deaf for a few minutes in one ear. It's not big and it's not clever.
Old 15th Jul 2017, 1:56 pm   #11
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Be aware also of dielectric absorption where the charge is regained, and if you're going to be in there some time, leave the capacitor terminal connections strapped together.
Thank you for all the replies. Useful info as ever!
Dielectric absorption never occurred to me. I wonder if anyone has experienced a shock because of this here on the forum?
Old 15th Jul 2017, 4:32 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

This is the internal circuit of a simple probe, similar in construction to the one in post 9. The zeners are 5 watt 1N5333B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Probe001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	146237  
Old 15th Jul 2017, 6:19 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collaro View Post
Dielectric absorption never occurred to me. I wonder if anyone has experienced a shock because of this here on the forum?
My late father said he once got a nasty shock from a home-made Leiden jar after he dischaged as a result of it recharging due to dielectric absortion. He was always very careful when discharging a CRT as a result.
Old 15th Jul 2017, 8:10 pm   #14
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I took a shock off a HV cable I'd pressure tested at 4.6kV d.c. and had not left the earth on for long enough afterwards. It was enough to make me swear, but nothing worse than that.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 16th Jul 2017, 12:57 am   #15
JacKam_
Pentode

It is a charge, not voltage that kills. My father used to check CRT HV by touching TC of flyback rectifier (like EY86) with a tip of a screwdriver kept in bare hands. If the sparks were 1 cm long that would mean there is about 15 kV, so OK. ( He is 85 and doing well )

J
Old 17th Jul 2017, 6:50 pm   #16
hannahs radios
Hexode

When I worked in the test department of a capacitor manufacturer we used to always check with a meter first then apply 4 lightbulbs in series 4x 100 watt bulbs in series discharged everything although I also had a 50 volt 60watt bulb for LV caps we always reckoned that when the bulbs went out the caps were discharged enough
Old 18th Jul 2017, 6:53 pm   #17
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Wow! Interesting When would that have been, can I be so bold to ask?
Old 19th Jul 2017, 2:21 am   #18
FrankB
Heptode

I made a shorting stick with a very dry broken drumstick and a ground wire for reg. caps.
Saved me a couple of times, esp. on microwave oven caps.
Also HV caps can take a charge if wind blows across the terminals! I use thin copper wire to short across them in the junk box. Just enuf to keep any charge from accumulating.
CRT anodes are famous for regaining their charge after they have been discharged too.
(Don't ask).
Old 19th Jul 2017, 6:03 am   #19
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I found that out the hard way in a very close brush with death. As part of my time at University I designed and built a pulsed CO2 laser. That had a high voltage multiple ceramic "hockey puck" capacitor energy store wired in parallel between two aluminium plates and charged to 20kV. So I turn everything off to dismantle part of it, and short the capacitor bank via a resistor to discharge it. After what I thought was a reasonable time (measuring the capacitor voltage with a meter) I took the resistor short off. A number of minutes later a took hold of the bank and it put my arm most of the way behind my head.

Dielectric absorption found out the hard way.

Craig
Old 19th Jul 2017, 11:02 am   #20
turretslug
Dekatron

Sort of similar tale re. dielectric absorbtion, I slightly glibly shorted a removed TV CRT ultor dimple to 'dag with a handy test-lead and put it on the side in the physics lab. A few minutes later, I picked it up again, one palm resting on the 'dag, the other palm opposite on the non-'dagged patch, but thumb brushed over the ultor.... Boy, my eyeballs felt like they did the sort of thing you see in Tom and Jerry. Very silly bit of complacency, and lesson firmly embedded. (It only fell a couple of inches onto the wooden bench....)
Closed Thread