UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2017, 4:39 pm   #1
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Major Deluxe

I have a Dansette Major Deluxe that used to belong to my late sister and have decided to try and get it working, but I think it needs a new cartridge, but I am not sure what type it takes. Also there are four wires to the cartridge but only two attached and I can't find where the other two attach.
Any advice?
Old 12th May 2017, 5:11 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Dansette

Hello and welcome. You should be able to find some indication on the cartridge of what it is. I think this has a single stage valve amp so it might be a high output ceramic such as a BSR X5H. Why do you think the cartridge is at fault? The 4 wires will be for a stereo cartridge - I expect yours is a mono cartridge, so only 2 of them are connected. Photos and a description of symptoms would help a lot.
Old 12th May 2017, 5:45 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

It is a single stage unit - an EL84 to be exact. It is a high output ceramic cartridge in these and they are not cheap!

http://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?m...ducts_id=18695

You will have to wire it for mono - both channels. Info is with it I think.

Cheers.

Steve P.
Old 12th May 2017, 7:59 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Major Deluxe

Hi Mike, the spare wires to the cart were for those decks where a stereo cart was fitted to run a stereo amp. Simply leave the spare 2 disconnected.

Not too much to go wrong with these electrically, but beware as it probably does not use a mains isolating transformer so may have a live chassis.

You will probably need to service the deck to get it running correctly due to hardened grease. DO NOT oil everywhere, look at the threads on here as to the correct methods.

If the cart is indeed dead when you have the amp working there are also threads here that detail the use of cheaper carts, possibly with a transistor amp to boost their output.

Ed
Old 13th May 2017, 12:46 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This Dansette does have a mains isolated chassis, so it is relatively safe to work on. The BSR X5H high output stereo-compatible crystal cartridge (it's not a ceramic) is 100% ideal for this, but these are no longer available.

The originally fitted BSR TC8H can still be imported at c.£55.00, but these are for mono use only and will damage stereo LP pressings. It depends what the OP wants to play on it.
Old 13th May 2017, 2:04 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

My own tests suggest that a single-stage EL84 amplifier -- actually, I used the one in a Dansette Major De Luxe, which I can confirm is supplied via a proper isolating transformer -- does not have quite enough gain for one of the ubiquitous red-stylus cartridges.

The cartridge in my Dansette MDL has been replaced with an original Ronette 105 Stereo, wired for mono. This still works, but is no longer available; Musonic sell a modern reproduction, but it's not reckoned to be much cop.
Old 13th May 2017, 5:48 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

...and even the Ronette 105 will still not provide enough output for the Dansette "Major".
Old 14th May 2017, 10:10 am   #8
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Dansette cartridge replacement

I have a Dansette major deluxe and wondered if anyone can tell me what type and where I can get a cartridge for it. It also has four wires running up the arm but only two attached and I can not see how the two black wire attach to the cartridge. Any help most welcome.

Michael.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:14 am   #9
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all great advice, will get back if I keep having problems, will not if I blow myself up!

HA.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:19 am   #10
Station X

Two threads relating to the same player merged.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:23 am   #11
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Hello and welcome. You should be able to find some indication on the cartridge of what it is. I think this has a single stage valve amp so it might be a high output ceramic such as a BSR X5H. Why do you think the cartridge is at fault? The 4 wires will be for a stereo cartridge - I expect yours is a mono cartridge, so only 2 of them are connected. Photos and a description of symptoms would help a lot.
I dont know if cartridge is at fault but it is the original one from the day it was bought in the early sixties for my sister, but as she died thirty years ago it has just stood in loft never used. I had some of the electronics updated due to deterioration, but still not getting any sound out of it apart from a drone. Could be the speaker is also faulty I guess?
Old 14th May 2017, 11:00 am   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
...and even the Ronette 105 will still not provide enough output for the Dansette "Major".
Mine works well enough.
Old 14th May 2017, 11:43 am   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEFIELD View Post
I dont know if cartridge is at fault but it is the original one from the day it was bought in the early sixties for my sister, but as she died thirty years ago it has just stood in loft never used. I had some of the electronics updated due to deterioration, but still not getting any sound out of it apart from a drone. Could be the speaker is also faulty I guess?
Speakers rarely fail. I suspect you are likely to need a cartridge, but unfortunately the correct types are no longer available. To test the amplifier touch the (probably Red) wire at the back of the cartridge. If you get a healthy buzz this is a sign that the amplifier is working.
Old 14th May 2017, 11:49 am   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

My experience is that the Ronette 105 may be OK for 78s and 45s, but you will need to turn the volume up to almost maximum (or maximum) on the less coarsely modulated LPs. This will also mean you pull up any inherent noise/hum as well. Maybe your Ronette is giving a higher than average output?
Old 14th May 2017, 5:24 pm   #15
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

I have just been told that the original cartridge is a ful-fi, or a name close to that, with two stylii TC8C and TC8R, but I don't know if they're still available?
Old 14th May 2017, 11:30 pm   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

It would have been fitted with a BSR TC8H from new (Ful-Fi is a trademark used by them)
It's almost certainly duff by now, the crystal used tends to absorb moisture and disintegrate. You can still get the stylii for the few that are still working, but not the original cartridges.
Old 15th May 2017, 10:26 am   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEFIELD View Post
I have just been told that the original cartridge is a ful-fi, or a name close to that, with two stylii TC8C and TC8R, but I don't know if they're still available?
Yes, it will be a BSR "Ful-Fi" TC8H (orange body) Mono cartridge. Don't spend your money on styli (still available) for this until you have checked out the cartridge (no longer available here) and the amplifier as previously advised.
Old 17th May 2017, 3:36 pm   #18
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Speakers rarely fail. I suspect you are likely to need a cartridge, but unfortunately the correct types are no longer available. To test the amplifier touch the (probably Red) wire at the back of the cartridge. If you get a healthy buzz this is a sign that the amplifier is working.
I have taken the red wire off the cartridge and rubbed it as you suggested and not a sound, with the volume turned all the way up, how easy is it to change amp and can you still get one,,Ta
Old 17th May 2017, 3:40 pm   #19
Station X

Do the valve or valves light up? Is there any background sound at all from the speaker?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th May 2017, 6:04 pm   #20
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The amplifier should be easily repairable, being a fairly basic single valve one. Check for the presence of HT+ (230v or thereabouts). Other things such as the output transformer should be checked for continuity, too.
Closed Thread