UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:43 pm   #1
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Default Finish matching veneer with simulated wood grain

Hi, I have a G11 TV that needs its cabinet refinishing. The plastic front fascia of the TV has a simulated teak veneer and the cabinet is veneered in real teak, so I was wondering what is the best way to match the finishes?

I have a feeling I may need to use another shade of varnish other than teak to match them.

Kindest regards,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4099.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	136129  
Old 19th Jan 2017, 7:30 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Finish matching veneer with simulated wood grain

Looking at that photo, I've a feeling that clear varnish will do the job as the front of the set - the simulated 'teak' - looks quite pale to me. Try a few strokes of clear varnish at the back edge of the veneer and compare the two. You may well find that even clear varnish gives a darker finish than the front.