UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2017, 6:46 pm   #41
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dansette Major Deluxe

Thanks for that I think it is starting to get above my head, may be better to find someone who I can send the whole lot to to be renovated.

Michael.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 8:30 pm   #42
AC/HL
Dekatron

If you want to go down that path, you could try a post in this section: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
Old 6th Jul 2017, 10:01 am   #43
Station X

Mike sent me a video of this and as far as I can see it is definitely suffering from inductive pickup. I'll happily forward the video to any member who PM's me their email address.

There is nothing wrong with the smoothers. They've were replaced prior to my receiving the amplifier for repair. I tested them and they're all OK. See my detailed report in posts #30, #32 and #36.

I did note that the connections from the amplifier to the volume control and hence to the pickup did not use screened wire. Whether this was normal for a Dansette I don't know.

I guess this illustrates that repairing the amp in isolation from the player is not a good idea. I certainly won't be doing it again.

I've attached a still from Mike's video. With the input wire held like that it's little wonder there's a drone and there's no evidence of the wire having been twisted.

A picture showing the connections to the tag strip under the deck and to the cartridge would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hum.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	145715  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 12:15 pm   #44
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

MODS: I did Post a reply to this, but we have had several Outages here and it may not have been sent:

Yes, Dansettes of this period did use the 2 signal wires twisted together and somehow they usually got away with it. I suggest the OP twists together the red and black wires and re-connects to see if the hum has reduced. Better still, to get a short length of single screened lead from Maplins and use this. it will only need 4 soldered connections.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 4:56 pm   #45
MIKEFIELD
Retired Dormant Member

My thanks to Ed who has got the Dansette working a treat, sounds good He fitted some shielded wires, fixed a loose capacitor and a problem on the circuit board and sorted wiring to the cartridge, now to fit new stylus, 78 and 45 and then should sound brill.

Many thanks Ed.
Closed Thread