UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 12:57 pm   #1
sorenb
Diode

Question Celestion HF2000, replacement diaphragm from NinoMusic.

Bought a pair of replacement diaphragms for a pair of Celestion HF2000 from Nino Music in France recently.

The quality of the replacements seems fine, and mimics the originals visually.

Nino has put a bit of effort into giving advice on how to carry out the replacement, in addition to the youtubes he has provided. However, following all his instructions, the replacement coils seems to be a bit too narrow and doesn't seem to fit the Celestion HF2000 I have at hand. (Beovox 5700)

Did Celestion make different designs of the HF2000?

Another odd thing, it is almost impossible to find a post describing success in replacing a Celestion diaphragm. I wonder why?
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 5:42 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Celestion HF2000, replacement diaphragm from NinoMusic.

I repaired the tweeters in a pair of SL6s many years ago. How hard can it be, I thought..........?
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 10:50 pm   #3
sorenb
Diode

Con grat, but how is that relevant at all?
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 1:03 am   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Just expressing sympathy - they are very fiddly things to get right.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 6:20 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Those "replace speaker surround/coil" video's make it look really easy. It is if you've done a few hundred but in reality it is tricky.

Something in the back of my mind says Celestion did a few version's of the HF2000 but I may be thinking of another tweeter. I had a quick look online and could'nt find any specs for the HF2000, the best thing to do is mic up the original and replacement using a micrometer or cheap digital vernier.

No posts positive could mean anything, though I'd be suspicious too, but then I'm cynical.

I may have some Celestion diaphram's somewhere still in the tin, can't remember if they're for the HF2000 though.

Andy.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 9:26 am   #6
sorenb
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Those "replace speaker surround/coil" video's make it look really easy. It is if you've done a few hundred but in reality it is tricky.
The old cooked coil pops in rather easy, whereas the Nino Music replacement doesn't. I suspect the diameter is a bit bigger on the original as it does have some play when popped in.
Since Nino Music is pretty insisting that the replacement should work, I have put quite some effort into making it work but to little avail.
I hooked up a function generator@1kHz, to be able to check the result, and the response sounds a bit distorted - I guess from the replacement diaphragm actually touching the pole piece - trying to move it a tiny bit while playing, one can get it to put out some sound, but still distorted.
If you have any tips on centering this, please do speak up

Quote:
No posts positive could mean anything, though I'd be suspicious too, but then I'm cynical.
Well, Nino Music turns up everywhere on eBay, Amazon and where not, so I guess a lot of people buys his stuff. But then again: no positives, and no negatives, can mean just about anything.

Quote:
I may have some Celestion diaphram's somewhere still in the tin, can't remember if they're for the HF2000 though.
Anything you want to depart with?
I have ordered some SEAS replacement that most people seems to use, but still, it would be nice to have the original working.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 4:13 pm   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Check to see if you have some grit or other rubbish in the gap, give it a good blow out, which you've probably done. Other than that 'd probably try and hook it up to sig gen and amplifier, no Xover and leave it running for a bit, see if it free's up. Put a low value fuse in series though to protect your amp.

From all I've read the Seas tweeter is a good replacement for the HF2000, better in fact.

I looked at the diaphram's I have, I only have T2725/R 's left. Must have sold the HF2000's.

Andy.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 6:24 pm   #8
sorenb
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Check to see if you have some grit or other rubbish in the gap, give it a good blow out, which you've probably done.
Already checked the gap under a magnifier without finding anything. Also tried to clean any debris using adhesive tape in the gap.

Quote:
Other than that 'd probably try and hook it up to sig gen and amplifier, no Xover and leave it running for a bit, see if it free's up. Put a low value fuse in series though to protect your amp.
I get your point, but not sure whether it is a good idea, provided that the diaphragm seems more or less stucked (more or less sound, but couldn't center the thing to make a clean 1kHz) ...

Quote:
From all I've read the Seas tweeter is a good replacement for the HF2000, better in fact.
I hope so.
The construction of the HF2000 doesn't really look impressive by no measure. Can hardly be made any simpler and still work.

Quote:
I looked at the diaphram's I have, I only have T2725/R 's left. Must have sold the HF2000's.
Thanks for looking, much appreciated.
Closed Thread