UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2017, 4:04 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Master socket for PABX?

Just wondering why the advice is to fit master sockets for PABX such as the BT/Lake range of PABX? I'm sure I've just used slave sockets in the past and they've worked fine?

Thanks
Old 20th Jul 2017, 4:14 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Master socket for PABX?

They'll be fine as long as the telephone equipment plugged into them doesn't require the separate ringing wire. Anything that does won't ring, but should probably otherwise work OK.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 4:25 pm   #3
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
They'll be fine as long as the telephone equipment plugged into them doesn't require the separate ringing wire. Anything that does won't ring, but should probably otherwise work OK.
Ah OK. The phones connected to this particular PBX are modern, imitation GPO telephones. Guess that's why they work! Thank you!
Old 20th Jul 2017, 6:24 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

There used to be such a thing as a "PABX Master" socket, which included the ringing capacitor and sometimes the resistor but no surge protector.

If you were wiring up a big enough site, you might make a saving using them .....
Old 20th Jul 2017, 6:50 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Last time I looked in Maplin they sold 3 types of telephone adapter for 'structured wiring' systems -- that is with a 8p8c plug on the input side, middle 2 contacts used for the telephone line.

'Extension' which had no internal components (I forget where the bell shunt (ringing) wire appeared on the 8p8c plug).

'PABX Master' which contained the ringing capacitor and out-of-service resistor but no surge protector'

'PSTN Master' which also contained the surge protector (same circuit as a normal BT master socket).

I use a couple of the last type with my telephone line simulator. I am sure the PABX master ones would have been fine too, but I think Maplin didn't have them in stock when I went to buy them

-tony
Old 20th Jul 2017, 7:04 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

The ringing wire is not present in the 8p8c (RJ45) connector. Pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 are Internet; pins 4 and 5 are analogue telephone; and pins 7 and 8 are spare, or a second analogue phone line. The capacitor, if present, is wired between pins 2 and 3 of the RJ431 socket.

It was an interesting idea; but then along came 1GB ethernet, which uses all four pairs, and Mark Spencer pretty much killed off analogue phones anyway
Old 20th Jul 2017, 7:07 pm   #7
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Mark Spencer pretty much killed off analogue phones anyway
who?
Old 20th Jul 2017, 7:09 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Mark Spencer -- the original lead developer of Asterisk. Also responsible for GAIM, which eventually became Pidgin.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 7:41 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Those Maplin adapters (at least the ones I have) bring out the telephone earth (pin 4 of the BT socket) on pin 8 of the 8p8c. I never looked at the extension one in any detail, but it's possible the Bell Shunt wire came out on pin 7.
Closed Thread