UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:10 am   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default BT Versatility

Does anyone know if the BT Versatility supports pulse dialling? Can't seem to find any information on this online but possibly my Googling is at fault!
Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:24 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: BT Versatility

I don't know the answer to your question, but the manual can be found here:-

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/...manual/c/5143/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:29 am   #3
boombox
Pentode

hmmm... "The BT Versatility can operate with System Featurephones, standard Tone Telephones, or approved ISDN devices."

Not looking good!
Old 18th Jul 2017, 9:47 am   #4
els1967
Pentode

If your looking to get your vintage phones working on a cheap PBX you can fit the Rotatone module to convert your phones to support tone dialing. They are £25 a pop though so not the cheapest option if your looking to fit a "fleet" of phones.

You could get a cheap PBX, like an Orchid, 2nd hand for about £30, fit, say, two phones with a Rotatone and connect the rest of your phones so they can't dial out but can be called. So or less than £100 you should have a pretty good system, all be it with some compromise.
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:45 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by els1967 View Post
If your looking to get your vintage phones working on a cheap PBX you can fit the Rotatone module to convert your phones to support tone dialing. They are £25 a pop though so not the cheapest option if your looking to fit a "fleet" of phones.
I built a clone of the Rotatone, and I have the parts for two more.
Take a look a at my comments adressed to "ThePillenwerfer" in this thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=135674
Old 18th Jul 2017, 12:50 pm   #6
boombox
Pentode

Interesting - do you fancy building me two? How much am I looking at? Many thanks
Old 18th Jul 2017, 10:12 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Perhaps a Panasonic KXT 206 might be a better option. Two exchange lines , where you can program dial type and up to six extensions with LD/MF dialing. Programming for most things can be done from an ordinary MF Confirmation is by tone reply. Quite a few on the Bay for around £20 . Few restrictions on what you need a system phone with display, but for the average person ,that's a luxury you don't need . Connection to the system is by telephone line cords. Panasonic suggest taking the line cords out to a Box 201, but there's plenty of room inside to fit a krone strip, or even connect direct from line cord to standard telecom cable.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 8:45 am   #8
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Perhaps a Panasonic KXT 206 might be a better option.
Would that allow hotline dialling? i.e. one or more extensions programmed so that when you lift the handset it dials another extension or two? Also would I be able to program that without a system phone? Many thanks

Thanks again
Old 19th Jul 2017, 3:59 pm   #9
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Would that allow hotline dialling?
From reading the programming and user guide, it doesn't seem to.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 6:41 pm   #10
Pellseinydd
Heptode

But the Panasonic KXTA624 and its replacement the KXTA824, both do as does the smaller (and still current) KXTEA308. All come up from time to time but aren't always cheap. The KXTEA308 (and the rarer KXTEB308 which is virtually the same) are great little systems. They can be set up with two or three digit numbers. The three digit numbers can be any in the 2XX range - not necessarily consecutive. Also the internal ringing can be set to the double beat ringing for extension to extension calls. Occasionally they come up cheaply. Great little systems.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 6:42 pm   #11
WayneL74
Triode

Might I suggest a Panasonic KX-TES308 or a KX-TES824?

I have the latter wired to extensions all over my house.

It supports pulse dialling & is not too fussy on speed. It converts to DTMF when dialling so works with cable lines & VoIP adapters. It also has the hotline feature you requested.

It can be configured using a laptop and the appropriate software.

These can be found on the usual auction sites. There are several on there at the moment for £100+ but if you bide you time you can get a bargain - I got one with a CLI card for £30.

If you do buy on on an auction site then do check the exact model you are getting. The first one I bought was a KX-TES824BX. This is an international model and has non-UK dial tones etc. and the extension numbering goes from 101. The UK model is a KX-TES824E, has correct progress tones and extension numbers are the more usual 201 upwards.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Wayne
Closed Thread