UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2017, 12:57 pm   #41
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Audio amp on CV2799 ?

What was the PA? Another one?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Jul 2017, 3:18 pm   #42
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Surely all top band rigs used a 6BW6 as PA?
Old 5th Jul 2017, 6:03 pm   #43
Aub
Nonode

Hi Al,

I'm not sure what you mean by High Side. Nothing special about the circuit, just the two tetrodes in push-pull, using an old HT mains transformer as the modulation transformer. The tetrodes were fed by an ECC83 as the phase splitter. Yes the PA valve was a 6BW6, but i nearly used a 5763.

Cheers

Aub
Old 5th Jul 2017, 6:28 pm   #44
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by High Side...
Ah, I mean when the AF is power amplified to modulate the anode of the final in this case (via modulation xformer), or the drain of an MOSFET in class E amplifiers. From what you're saying, it is.

Maybe the high-side, low side distinction doesn't apply to valve transmitters. I know very little about it, it's only recently that my attention and knowledge have started to grow in this area...
Old 5th Jul 2017, 7:09 pm   #45
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
Surely all top band rigs used a 6BW6 as PA?
Some of us preferred to follow the mindset of the 62-set and use the squat little CV309/QV04-7 which was available dirt-cheap on the surplus market. An EF50 VFO, EF50 driver worked fine ahead of a QV04-7 PA.

The PL81 was also a popular choice [despite its odd heater-voltage]. At least it had a top-cap anode.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 9:29 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

The guy in our village used a 6L6 odulated by 6V6 and a great big Woden trnsformer. I think the crustal oscillator may have been a 6J5G.

I've just found a few unused 6BW6 sn 5763s while having a rootle, and I think I've got several YL11-somethings which are the directly heated double tetrodes.

David
Old 5th Jul 2017, 9:35 pm   #47
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
I think I've got several YL11-somethings which are the directly heated double tetrodes.
YL1130? I remember them being used in some 1960s/1970s AM mobile gear, if only because PC Plod didn't understand he had to wait a second between keying the mic and speaking otherwise his first few words didn't make it to "YK" [or whatever his area base-station was].

I doubt the YL1130 would be too sensible to use as an audio-amp.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:36 pm   #48
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

The guy in our village used a 6L6 odulated by 6V6 and a great big Woden trnsformer. I think the crustal oscillator may have been a 6J5G.

David
Somehow that's just the most evocative description of a home brewed lashup I've seen in a long while
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Jul 2017, 12:29 am   #49
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Audio amp on CV2799 ?

Would a '3-20A provide useful service as a pass-valve in a linear regulated H.V. PSU - possibly to power a '3-20A A.F. power amp.?

With the two halves strapped in parallel (perhaps with current-equalising resistors in the anodes), 400-v.d.c. input to them and a fixed 250-v.d.c. output, that puts a 150-v. drop across the valve. For an output current of no more that 100 mA, the combined anode dissipation will be 15-watts, which is within the rated Pa max. (combined) of 20-watts.

Al.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 11:13 am   #50
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
I've just found a few unused 6BW6 sn 5763s while having a rootle, and I think I've got several YL11-somethings which are the directly heated double tetrodes.
Ok, another candidate that was built for UHF + service...I've just found in my stocks here a remarkably good-looking CWL 327-A, ex US Navy, WW2.

Very obscure details available, (not even the heater voltage); appears to have two connections to a common grid, at 180 degrees to each-other radially laterally. Nice big anode, obviously designed for pulse application originally.

How about that as a stylish audio amp in class A?, or a pair in push-pull?
Old 6th Jul 2017, 11:28 am   #51
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The 5763 had a reputation for always wanting to be an oscillator, whatever the role intended for it by the circuit designer.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 12:33 pm   #52
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Quote:
Ok, another candidate that was built for UHF + service...I've just found in my stocks here a remarkably good-looking CWL 327-A, ex US Navy, WW2.

Very obscure details available, (not even the heater voltage); appears to have two connections to a common grid, at 180 degrees to each-other radially laterally. Nice big anode, obviously designed for pulse application originally.

How about that as a stylish audio amp in class A?, or a pair in push-pull?
There's a 327A listed in Babani's International Radio Tube Encyclopedia, say's filament = 10.5V at 10.6A, Plate = 15,000V, no other electrical data given.

If that's any use.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 1:54 pm   #53
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
There's a 327A listed in Babani's International Radio Tube Encyclopedia, say's filament = 10.5V at 10.6A, Plate = 15,000V, no other electrical data given.

If that's any use...
Thank you , Lawrence! Very helpful! But I think I'll stay clear unless I have
X-Ray specs, with that anode voltage!

Cheers ��
Old 6th Jul 2017, 8:41 pm   #54
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Would a '3-20A provide useful service as a pass-valve in a linear regulated H.V. PSU - possibly to power a '3-20A A.F. power amp.?
Trying to regulate the supply to an audio-frequency power-amplifier is a fool's errand: you're basically connecting two audio amplifiers in series, with interesting effects!

[Your regulator needs to have the same-if-not-better response-characteristics and bandwidth/slew-rate as the audio-amp it's feeding]

Get it wrong (which you surely will) and the results will be an interesting mess of incompatible gain/bandwidth functions and negative-resistance effects at some point in the load cycle. If you're lucky the thing will take off and squeg/oscillate at some point, drawing your attention to just how poorly you understood the design requirements of this sotrt of thing.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 1:53 pm   #55
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Trying to regulate the supply to an audio-frequency power-amplifier is a fool's errand.
I see. So if a '3-20A was used in this way, but with that A.F. power amplifier replaced by an R.F. power amplifier, would that still be an unwise thing to do?

Al.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 2:25 pm   #56
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes!

The 'regulator' will still try to follow the audio component of the modulating waveform fed to the RF amplifier - so it would still need to have a response characteristic the same as an audio amplifier!

This is a particular problem when trying to power amateur-radio 'field-day' transmitters from small portable generators: the generator's control/regulation circuitry tries to follow the transmitter's power demand - which is varying rapidly in response to the audio modulation or the on-off CW keying. Mechanical governors and systems with rotational inertia have difficulty responding to load demands that are varying millisecond by millisecond. The result is usually very bad ! The answer is to use a much bigger generator, and also to load it with something like a kettle or fan-heater so the transmitter's varying load is less significant. Plenty of really hot tea/coffee is always welcome on a Field Day or DXpedition anyway...!
Old 7th Jul 2017, 6:09 pm   #57
Skywave
Rest in Peace

But if that transmitter's modulation was F.M, then perhaps those problems would not arise?

Al
Old 7th Jul 2017, 8:00 pm   #58
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Ah, Jacek. Someone beat you to it! Here

You could probably beat him/her on build standard, though!

Cheers,

Frank
Old 7th Jul 2017, 8:33 pm   #59
JacKam_
Pentode

Frank,

I saw that, thank you. I did my homework, read the posts and gave up the idea. I am no longer interested in building amp on cv2799. Thank you all.

But I am still thinking about something different. The next candidate is rs1012L, or similar.

My father worked here : http://old.radiopolska.pl/wykaz/poka...ja.php?pid=165

and used to keep one of the valves on a book shelf, so the books stayed straight. It was from about 15m long TV transmitter. The first rack was a power control for heaters, HV, etc , last one contained four huge output cavity filters, I was 11 or so at the time.

Best regards,

Jacek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d_siemens_rs1012l_001_1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	145800  
Closed Thread