UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2017, 7:50 am   #21
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: EMI Tape Recorder L4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
They are 10k now, but back in the valve era I'm pretty sure they were mostly 600 ohms both in and out using transformers. At a guess, this recorder will follow that standard.
I suppose that at that time Line might literally have meant a telephone line or PO music circuit, in which case a 600 ohm line termination might have been present in the machine.

Martin
Old 31st May 2017, 9:51 pm   #22
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
None the less a very good find and in such nice condition too, I have been on the lookout for one of these for a while to add to my collection.

I would be interested to see a picture of the battery pack if it is still with the machine?

Regards Brian

Brian, Please see private message.

PMM
Old 31st May 2017, 10:16 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

There is already a photo of the battery pack earlier in the thread. It looks like 14V made from a three-cell, another three-cell and a single cell of the little grey 'Sonnenshein' lead-acid batteries enclosed in a 2-part plastic clamshell case.

David
Old 5th Jun 2017, 10:10 am   #24
monaro0162
Pentode

I did try to get the top of the machine apart, to gain access to the take up reel belt, but chickened out, because it doesn't seem easy, looks like various levers and springs have to come off first somehow. Will have another go later and will take lots of photos during dismantling so as to remember how to put it back together again.

Re the battery pack, it has an internal unit, as described, presumably charged via the 'external battery' connector? Was there an external battery pack as well? The internal lead-acid battery is tiny, not surprising it didn't last anywhere near the claimed 3 hours!
Old 5th Jun 2017, 10:55 am   #25
paulsherwin

These machines were primarily designed to record short location interviews, so would only have needed half an hour or so of battery life. They would have been plugged into a charger when the reporter returned to the studio.
Old 12th Jun 2017, 7:52 am   #26
pmmunro
Octode

I have now located a copy of the EMI manual TL1526 "Instruction Manual Portable Tape Recorder Type L4 (Series)" published in July 1966.

It covers Models L4 A, B, C and D, all with NAB variants. Although described as an "Instruction Manual", there are full circuit diagrams, parts lists and servicing instructions. Interior views of the machine are prints of photographs.

The whole manual is about 70 pages, including fold-out pages which allow their content to be read with another page open, and some diagrams roughly A3 size.

As this seems to be quite a rare document, I would like it to be available for anyone who needs it. My L4 is going to Beamcurrent and I want him to have the manual.

If anyone else wants a copy, I would like to suggest that we come to some arrangement whereby one of those interested takes on to scan the manual, or have it scanned, at acceptably high definition and makes it generally available. I don't have a big enough scanner and it will be some time until I could attempt the full scanning, due to other commitments.

PMM
Old 13th Jun 2017, 11:20 am   #27
monaro0162
Pentode

One of these recently sold on e-bay. It appears to be a slightly different model, with different microphone connectors. It was sold with an instruction manual too, it looks to be the same manual that pmmunro describes?

Obviously I'm keen to see the operating and servicing instructions on these machines, as I've yet to take mine apart to replace the take up belt, to get it working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emi 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	144410   Click image for larger version

Name:	emi 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	144411   Click image for larger version

Name:	emi 5.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	144412   Click image for larger version

Name:	emi 6.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	144413   Click image for larger version

Name:	emi 7.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	144414  

Old 14th Jun 2017, 8:40 am   #28
pmmunro
Octode

Brian, Beamcurrent, has offered to scan the manual for the L4.

I'll be sending this on to him in the next few days and he will need some time to find an opportunity to do the scanning. I will ask him to post a message here when he has made the scan and anyone interested can ask him for a copy.

PMM
Old 14th Jun 2017, 6:18 pm   #29
monaro0162
Pentode

Thank you PMM.

My unit is a plain L4, no NAB equalisation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2207.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	144500  
Old 15th Jun 2017, 1:54 pm   #30
llama
Octode

Those XLR mic connectors don't look original to me, being too close to their respective labels.
Graham
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 8:44 pm   #31
beamcurrent
Heptode

Thanks to the generosity of PMMUNRO I have now scanned the EMI L4 handbook. This covers models L4 A to C.

The files are too large to have here so the link to them is here:-

http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/emi/st...-l4-index.html

There are 4 files, the text in both small and larger file size, the Figures (circuits) and a figure with some unofficial mods for the C version.

Regards

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 4th Jul 2017, 8:55 pm   #32
monaro0162
Pentode

Beamcurrent and PMMUNRO many thanks for making the document available and its a great quality scan too. Should make fixing my one a little easier. Looks like a fair bit of dismantling will be required to access and change both belts. When I attempted it on mine all the rotating parts were wobbling about and trying to fall out so I put it back together and it all went back bar one small ball bearing that came from somewhere. Thanks again.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 9:58 pm   #33
beamcurrent
Heptode

I have done a little work on my machine, an L4C, to replace the take-up spool drive belt. I bought one from CPC type "AVBELT113" which is 77mm diameter.

Although it is a square section belt, replacing a round one it does not seem to be a problem. Very fiddley to fit!

Regards Brian

Old 1st Aug 2017, 5:32 pm   #34
monaro0162
Pentode

Is this the belt that runs the take up reel? How is it running? Yet to replace the belt on the one I have, it also has a hardened rubber idler, and was quite noisy in operation.
Old 1st Aug 2017, 6:34 pm   #35
beamcurrent
Heptode

The belt is for the take up spool, it does run OK, my feeling is it could be just a little tighter, perhaps to allow for future stretch? as the speed of the take-up spool changes as to how much tape there is on it there must be some slip involved.

The rubber idlers are a harder problem to deal with. the edges of mine are poor, but they seem to work. the one that does the rewind to the feed spool does not grip so well. I had toyed with the idea of painting rubber solution on them, like a sort of tyre. but in the end left them alone. they are quite noisy.

Brian

Closed Thread