UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2017, 9:53 pm   #1
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Default 1990's Roberts grille repainting?

Hi folks

I recently picked up a nice Roberts R737 which is in great condition apart from the usual rust spots on the grille.

I removed the rust spots using a fiberglass pencil and mixed up some light grey acrylic paint that looked like it would be a good match for the original paint. Indeed, it was a good match with the paint on the back of the grille, but showed up how badly the front had yellowed due to UV light

Obviously, I'm going to need to paint the entire grille, so I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about it? Presumably strip the entire lot with paint stripper, then apply primer followed by a top coat, or could I get away without the primer? Also, I'm not really sure whether the original paint was meant to be gloss or matt finish. I'm no expert on painting metal, hence the daft questions

I know R737's aren't the most exciting radios in the world but this one works a treat and was a real bargain - that's why I need to finish it off with a properly painted grille

Cheers,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170721_204414.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	146594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170721_204447.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	146595  
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 11:59 am   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: 1990's Roberts grille repainting?

Hi I would give it a couple of very light dusts over with paint from a spray can.
Just enough to cover the damage.
I would warm the can slightly so you get a higher pressure dryer coat of paint this helps to avoids runs and clogging the mesh with too much paint.

Rich.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 3:01 pm   #3
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Thanks Rich.

Do you think I can get away without the primer? I'm back to bare metal where I've removed the rust.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 6:41 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I doubt it was primed originally.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 10:09 pm   #5
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Maybe it wasn't, and that's why rust spots seem to be such a common problem with them?

I'm no expert on painting metal, I'm just guessing out loud here
Old 24th Jul 2017, 12:09 am   #6
Squipper
Pentode

I currently own and enjoy several R737s (one of my favourite modern Roberts sets - c1993), and as has been said, the grilles do suffer with rust spotting, even when you get a 'good' one.

Remove the Roberts badge by heating gently with a hairdryer to loosen the existing adhesive first. Done correctly will mean no adhesive residue on the grille, and you will need no additional adhesive when refixing later.

I don't strip them personally, but I do also remove the rust spots as you do with a fibreglass pencil. I do prime them first, as can be seen in the attached photo (shown with bare primer) before I spray paint the final finish, usually with a matt black aerosol. I have found the best success with a cheap aerosol paint from my local 'Bargain World' shop, with aerosols branded 'Paint Factory'.

I do 2 decent coats of primer, followed the day after by several passes of black.

A 200ml can is enough to paint a whole fleet of grilles, so there's always plenty to spare for the next one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	146708  

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 25th Jul 2017, 3:20 pm   #7
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Hi Squipper

Glad to know it's not just me that likes R737's then

I had a chat with one of my neighbours over the weekend, and he let me have some light grey Simoniz primer and showed me how to do the job properly! A single coat of that on the back to cover where there was a particularly bad rust spot, plus a couple of coats on the front, and it's looking like a new grille! If anything, it's a slightly darker shade of grey than it originally was, but it looks fine to me

I'll get the camera out and add some photos soon!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 26th Jul 2017, 1:32 pm   #8
Squipper
Pentode

Most primers will be a darker shade of grey, but it is good to 'final finish' with a coat of paint which will often be a better match to the original. I prefer matte finishes on Roberts grilles, much more forgiving.

I have also done some bespoke finishes on R737's, which actually turned out quite well - before & after grille pictures attached!

In the second to last picture, you can still see the staining from the rusted grille on the speaker board behind. I didn't realise this until I took the photo, and I have repainted the speaker board now too

the last picture was a test of NATO green for the grille. It was repainted black in the end, as I simply didn't like the overall look.

I look forward to seeing your 737 shortly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7374.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	146854   Click image for larger version

Name:	7373.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	146855   Click image for larger version

Name:	7372.jpg
Views:	174