UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 20th Mar 2024, 7:27 pm   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default PHILIPS EL3300 ear piece

Just finished sorting a EL3300 and noticed that unlike the one a month earlier this model had a socket for an earpiece unlike the one a month earlier. Don't think the EL3301 or EL3302 had one or did they?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Phil.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	295178   Click image for larger version

Name:	A PHIL2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	295179   Click image for larger version

Name:	A PHIL3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	295180   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Phil4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	295181  
Old 20th Mar 2024, 7:57 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: PHILIPS EL3300 ear piece

That's a week earlier, not a month. Is the full model number EL3300/15 in both cases or are there any additional letters?
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2024, 8:14 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

On my EL3302 I used the audio output on the 5 pin 240° socket. As this was also used for the external power supply, I made an adaptor with both a 5 pin socket for the power supply and a 3.5mm jack for an earpiece. A small metal can that had contained a bulk 35mm film refill, provided a conveniently-sized screened box.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2024, 10:45 pm   #4
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
That's a week earlier, not a month. Is the full model number EL3300/15 in both cases or are there any additional letters?
Nope both are EL3300/15. Never seen before and not a later home adaption but obviously built into the white molding so been designed that way for production at the factory.

Last edited by Ekcoman; 20th Mar 2024 at 10:51 pm.
Ekcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2024, 10:52 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Very interesting as you probably found the exact week when this design was changed... What are the chances?

Also, it must have been regarded a "minor" design change, not even justifying upping the revision code from AH02 let alone the model number. Quite strange, actually.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 5:41 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Strange to see non-DIN sockets on any Philips gear of that era, in fact.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:40 pm   #7
jamesperrett
Octode

I seem to remember that my grandmother had a yellow Philips transistor radio with a 3.5mm earphone socket on the side which would have been made in the early 60s. It looked like the blue one at

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_l3x91t.html

although none of those pictures show the earphone socket.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 9:37 am   #8
ricard
Octode

It couldn't be a well done post sale modification then? The picture of the hole around the 3.5 mm socket looks a bit uneven in the picture but of course I don't have the machine in front of me. I would have thought that repair shops at the time might have attempted this type of modification and gotten quite good at it over time.

(For instance, I remember my father had a battery operated tape recorder which he had modified by a shop so he could use a non original external power supply with it).
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 2:26 pm   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
It couldn't be a well done post sale modification then? The picture of the hole around the 3.5 mm socket looks a bit uneven in the picture but of course I don't have the machine in front of me. I would have thought that repair shops at the time might have attempted this type of modification and gotten quite good at it over time.

(For instance, I remember my father had a battery operated tape recorder which he had modified by a shop so he could use a non original external power supply with it).
I tend to agree that it’s a well executed, post-manufacture modification.
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote