UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2016, 1:43 pm   #61
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-veneering a hifi receiver

I've just cut out the piece of veneer for the top. It was a very exacting and difficult exercise to perform as there is little - if any - room for error with respect to the width of the piece (it has to fit exactly between the two side panels) and also the side edges of the piece have to be exactly at right angles to the long edges for similar (fit) reasons. The photo shows it dropped in place, not glued down yet, I have to take a breather.. I'm just figuring out a Heath Robinson rig/setup to make sure that it is pressed down fully, all over, including the edges while the veneer glue dries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010485.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	134523   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010486.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	134524  
Old 17th Dec 2016, 1:58 pm   #62
vidjoman
Dekatron

A sturdy piece of wood with a bit of paper over the veneer and several g cramps will do the job. The paper is to stop the glue sticking to the lump of wood. If it sticks to the veneer it can easily be removed with a damp sponge.
Old 17th Dec 2016, 3:55 pm   #63
stevehertz
Dekatron

The top (and final) piece of veneer is now in place, glued and presently being held down by my Heath Robinson rig to hopefully keep it all flat. The piece of Contiboard that I had was not long enough to do the full width, so a narrow section on the right hand side is held down by another piece and pressed down with couple of house bricks. Next to the veneer is a sheet of cling film because previously the paper I used for this purpose stuck in a few places as the veneer glue squeezed through in a couple of places, but I was able to sand it down. This time I've used a tad less glue and as I say, the cling film as a non-stick barrier. Above the cling film is about ten layer of newspaper to 'even out the pressure' from the board as no piece of wood/board is perfectly flat. So the newspaper compensates for small discrepancies to some degree. Later tonight or tomorrow the clamps will come off and hopefully I can get the first coat of lacquer on to the top and I'm nearly there. I also have to clear the mounting holes in the side panels that are presently covered over with veneer. I will use a fine scalpel for that purpose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010488.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	134530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010487.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	134531  
Old 17th Dec 2016, 7:52 pm   #64
stevehertz
Dekatron

I removed the clamps and all looks well, the veneer is glued down firmly, flat, and no glue has oozed through. Will apply first coat of lacquer tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010490.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	134550   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010489.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	134551  
Old 18th Dec 2016, 12:12 pm   #65
stevehertz
Dekatron

First coat to top now applied and dry. Just another couple of coats and I'll be nearly finished. Still have to re-make the side panel mounting holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010494.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	134596   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010493.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	134597   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010492.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	134598  
Old 18th Dec 2016, 2:03 pm   #66
unitaudio
Heptode

I think you're going to end up with the best example left!

Regards,
Paul
Old 18th Dec 2016, 3:41 pm   #67
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That is looking rather nice! Making the holes will be a scary job.

I must have a go at veneering, I've got a very crusty old Bush VHF81 that needs something doing to it, it's wrapped in cling film type stuff to stop bits of veneer flaking off!

It'll be interesting to know how you get on with the water based lacquer long term, I tried some water based satin varnish recently, and was not impressed with it. After 8 months it's still a bit tacky, if you place anything on it, it sticks to it.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 18th Dec 2016, 7:29 pm   #68
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Lloyd. The lacquer that I used is 'rock hard' after a day or so, no signs of tackiness.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 4:58 pm   #69
crackle
Rest in Peace

That's looking very good.

Mike
Old 20th Dec 2016, 6:07 pm   #70
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Mike.

The third and final coat of lacquer has been applied to the top panel, so that completes the veneering and lacquering. A new photo at this point in time would look very similar to the last one which was taken after the first coat, so no point really. Next I'll re-instate the mounting holes in the side panels, fit the plastic washers/bearers into them and give the whole cabinet a light 'dusting' with 0000 grade wire wool. The lacquer used is (already) matt, but I experimented during the lacquering of the side panels and the wire wool treatment actually enhances the matt look further, more 'woody'. Then I'll take a final photo and move on to restoring the front panel.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 6:19 pm   #71
Goldie99
Heptode

An excellent job - it already looks fantastic, and well worth the time & effort. Nice work.

I adopted a somewhat similar approach with a self-built teak fascia about 45 years ago.... multiple coats of satin varnish, flattened between coats, and finished with wire-wool and a very final coat of a hard beeswax. The beeswax just gave it the final matt 'sheen' I was looking for.

Alan
Old 20th Dec 2016, 6:50 pm   #72
stevehertz
Dekatron

Indeed Alan, that's my aim too, and thanks.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 8:50 pm   #73
stevehertz
Dekatron

No more work done yet but I just dropped the cab over the chassis to see what it looks like. Obviously the chassis is presently being worked on so the knobs are missing etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010502.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	134709   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010503.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	134710  
Old 20th Dec 2016, 9:03 pm   #74
Reelman
Octode

That looks very attractive Steve, you have done an excellent job, well done! Gives motivation to those of us that would also like the same finish.
Peter
Old 20th Dec 2016, 9:13 pm   #75
unitaudio
Heptode

Shows what can be done at home. I'd be really happy with that, it looks fantastic.

Regards,
Paul
Old 21st Dec 2016, 8:16 am   #76
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks guys. After the final touches to the cab, my next job (after Christmas!) will be to 're-chrome' the long dial surround/frame that has been rubbed down to bare white plastic in several places by a vigorous previous owner. Photos of before and after, and close up of dial damage below. Restoring the dial frame will be the subject of another thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010260.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	134720   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010503.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	134723   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010273.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	134724  
Old 21st Dec 2016, 10:02 am   #77

For a first and easy attempt to rechrome, try one of those silver felt pens.

Old 21st Dec 2016, 10:09 am   #78
stevehertz
Dekatron

Hmm, good idea if it works.. I'll give it a go for sure, thanks Merlin.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 12:34 pm   #79
crackle
Rest in Peace

Excellent result with the cabinet.

Mike
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 2:25 pm   #80
stevehertz
Dekatron

I learnt a fair bit about the use of plastic wood during this restoration, so I thought I'd pass on what I learnt.

I've been using plastic wood since the mid 70s for various repairs etc. I've always struggled with it as invariably it comes out of the tube/pot too dry and is difficult to work with and to get to stick. Also, choosing the correct implement to apply it with is always difficult. Quite often I found that it wouldn't stick, or when sanding afterwards, it would come out. Agghhhh!

So, this time around... When I first squeezed the product from (an already opened/used) tube, it was 'dryish' - as described above. However, the next time I used it indoors (not in my unheated workshop as previously) and lo and behold it was more 'fluid'. Or maybe the contents were not mixed too well before. On that note, the instructions do say to agitate the tube to mix the contents, so that's a another point to observe. So, keep it indoors and agitate the tube; mix it up.

I also thoroughly cleaned the areas (mainly edges and corners) of the veneer where the PW was to be applied with a clean toothbrush, then with IPA on a paint brush and dabbed afterwards with tissue. I then squeezed some of the PW onto a jotting pad for use of. If it came out inconsistently, I would generally choose/use the wetter stuff for application, but in any case you can mix it on the jotter to your liking, but you don't have a lot of time to play around with this stuff. Regarding application, in the small areas that I was trying to tease the PW, I found that a small, flat jewellers screwdriver was best. If necessary I used my fingers or thumb to finally smear it into the shape that I desired, making sure that it stood proud to allow for sanding level afterwards.

The next day I would use a fine 4 inch file to remove most of the excess PW. I would place the forward edge of the file on to the veneered area and applying gentle pressure, gradually begin removing the excess PW, filing in the direction of the parent wood/veneer. If you file away from where the PW sits, you risk dragging it out. When the area starts to take shape, switch from the file to a foam/wet&dry rubbing block to smooth it down nicely. Sometimes the PW was not high enough so a second touch up application was needed. When all was well the whole panel would be sanded to prep it for lacquer and to blend in the PW even further. Re colour matching, I chose the best colour PW that I could to match, but it was too light in general so I used my collection of brown artists marker pens to disguise/blend the colour. Often I would quickly 'smudge' the ink immediately after application to blend it better. Once lacquer is being applied you're on the home straight re the PW because the lacquer serves to help hold it in place.

So, from being totally phased and frustrated when using plastic wood, I now have a few 'rules' that will help me next time. Hopefully others too.