UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2017, 2:35 pm   #1
broadgage
Nonode

Default Supplier of very thin twin flex ?

Can anyone suggest a supplier of thin "figure 8" twin flex, only needs to be insulated for 24 volts and with a current carrying capacity of less than one amp.
Probably about 0.1 mm cross sectional area, though the exact size is unimportant. Must be flexible, so "bell wire" will not suit.

This material is used by makers of LED Christmas lights to connect the battery or transformer to the lights, and for other ELV low current applications.

I need a significant quantity, so am happy to buy a 100M coil. Silver/transparent is preferred but green, grey or white would serve.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 3:56 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Supplier of very thin twin flex ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
Can anyone suggest a supplier of thin "figure 8" twin flex, only needs to be insulated for 24 volts and with a current carrying capacity of less than one amp. Probably about 0.1 mm cross sectional area, though the exact size is unimportant. Must be flexible, so "bell wire" will not suit.
Was 0.1mm a typo? I assume so - 0.1mm is only 42SWG.

I've had a good poke around, as no doubt you have too, but the only thin I've come across from several suppliers is this sort of stuff, which I guess isn't thin enough for your needs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Core-Tra...-/121880930139

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?i=8297

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 5th Apr 2017 at 4:07 pm.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 4:04 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Not that I have the same requirement as you, as my need is for vintage intercoms where thin fig 8 is used. Usually each intercom set comes with 60ft of this type of wire.

Unfortunately, after the system is installed but then removed at a later date, the wire is left stapled to a wall or along a skirting board and when the intercom units are sold, they are minus the wire.

I've been searching for some time and the only place that I found which supplies the exact wire type is in Australia and, to date, I've not found it else where.

In my case I going to contact a Chinese exporter that once helped me out with other non available electronics parts to see if he can source this type of wire. If he can source some, I'll report back....all I need now is to find his details again (last used 4 years ago !)

Wish me luck.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 4:22 pm   #4

How about http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/2x46...wht/dp/2425431
or http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/3788...00m/dp/1735204

Last edited by Guest; 5th Apr 2017 at 4:23 pm. Reason: Found some more

Old 5th Apr 2017, 4:23 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Not that I have the same requirement as you, as my need is for vintage intercoms where thin fig 8 is used. Usually each intercom set comes with 60ft of this type of wire.
The Fig8 wire that came with the intercom that I installed from the house to the garage three years ago had solid single wire conductors - not flex. (AKA 'bell wire' which is not what the OP wants. (ie, it's solid 'cable', rather than flex). This sort of stuff:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...%20bell%20wire

I'm not saying that all two-core intercom wire has solid conductors, but it makes sense with such thin wire, which is going to be fitted in position and left undistrubed.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 6:54 pm   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

The intercom that I had came with flex very similar to those off-white mono earphones popular in the day.

Dolls house suppliers have very fine flex - it might even be too fine for this application
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-volt-Tw...-/141937967755

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolls-Hous...g/112325995510
Old 5th Apr 2017, 8:34 pm   #7

Dolls houses, another source of the unfindable, thank you OF.

Old 5th Apr 2017, 8:50 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This sounds very like the stuff Lego power leads used to be wired with "in my day" (i.e. early 1980s).

N.
Old 6th Apr 2017, 12:14 am   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

The wire in the links of post #6 looks like the dolls house wire I got in my local Sue Ryder charity shop for a pound about 5 years ago: they usually have a range of dolls house items (including grain of wheat 12V bulbs), but stock varies. Each core is four strands of 0.1mm plain copper. Shortly after I sent some to a forum member who needed some thin twin flex for a repair, and apparently it was just the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6292_c.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	140507  
Old 6th Apr 2017, 12:53 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Two cores stripped from a length of ribbon cable?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Apr 2017, 2:21 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

As a ps, when I built a dolls house for my daughter some 20 years ago, she was given an accessory set that included a non-working standard lamp, and asked if I could make it work. I looked though the electronics distributors' catalogues, but was unable to find any cable sufficiently small and limp. I ended up using the flex from a broken earpiece from a 1960's Hong Kong transistor radio, and made up 2-pin plugs and sockets from 0.1" pitch Harwin modular connector strip that Maplin used to stock.
Old 7th Apr 2017, 10:31 am   #12
valveaudio
Hexode

How about this:
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/dolls-h...twin-flex-wire

Trevor
Old 7th Apr 2017, 5:01 pm   #13
broadgage
Nonode

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
The first couple of suggested types of wire are more or less standard sizes of twin flex as was widely used for mains voltage in the past.

The wires intended for dolls house wiring might be too thin.

The grey twin wire from Farnell as suggested in post #4 seems to be the best compromise, and is very affordable if I buy 5 rolls.
Old 7th Apr 2017, 5:41 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Old damaged cat.5 Ethernet cables can be a source - though you may need to un-twist the twisted-pairs!
Closed Thread