UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2010, 9:42 pm   #1
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default My first valve wireless set - has it been "got at"?

Hi All,

I've recently bought my first valve wireless set - a Bush DAC90A.

Will someone be kind enough to look at the pictures to see if they can spot any alterations that may have been made to the original wiring etc.

I'll be feeling my way in getting the set up and running and it will be a bit easier if there haven't been any modifications made in the past.

Also, two questions if I may.

Is the mains filter capacitor the one that is clamped to the chassis near the dropper resistor and output transfomer and also, have I correctly identified - probably not! - pin 4 of UL41?

Regards, Lee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	312L 051a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	37090   Click image for larger version

Name:	312L 053.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	37091  
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:05 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: My first valve wireless set - has it been "got at"?

It's been repaired in the past, but all seems to be there. Change all the waxies, put the valves in and try it.

The sheet is up there - get the Bush sheet as it is the best. People cut the wires off pin 4 to reduce hum. I'm not sure which one iit is from that picture, the manual should help.

Read and learn: http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:13 pm   #3
qcda275
Retired Dormant Member

It all looks ok, depending on your mains voltage, it might be worth moving the dropper tapping to the 250V setting.
Whatever you do, before you light-up be sure to replace, or at the very least disconnect, the RF bypass cap. It's the wax cap by the dropper. C22 on the Trader sheet (sorry, I haven't got the Bush data)
If not, it's likely to go bang!
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:21 pm   #4
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your very quick reply.

I did think some of the wiring looked a bit newer than the rest which is why I asked the question.

Thanks for the link, since Sunday I've read every post and web article I can find on the DAC90A and I've bought the Bush service sheet. This is new territory for me and I've a healthy respect for 240 volts so I thought I'd better get clued up before diving in and changing capacitors etc.

Thanks Again and Best Wishes, Lee in Middleton.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:27 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Best of luck Lee.

One is never enough though...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:38 pm   #6
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I wouldn't fire it up at all until you replace the .01 cap' on the left most of the pcb or it could do a lot of damage. The other one you mention in the clamp can just be snapped out of circuit for now.

Dave
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:43 pm   #7
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Oh Dear, they're not like old telephones are they? I started off with one - why would I want more? - I'm now up to twenty three

The bypass capacitor *hasn't* exploded but I will be removing it and replacing it with a modern Class X equivalent as well as all the other wax capacitors and I will move the dropper tapping to 250 volts.

I'll also be building a lamp limiter before the big switch on!

Than You All for your replies, Lee.
Closed Thread