UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:25 am   #1
Eauzone
Retired Dormant Member

Default Changing the bulb on a Philips B6X23A

Hi!

First time caller......I have just bought a wonderful Philips Valve radio and it is in fantastic condition although needs a new back light bulb. It is not something I want to attempt changing without guidance. Can anyone advise me on how to proceed?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 30th Mar 2017, 1:35 pm   #2
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Changing the bulb on a Philips B6X23A

As far as I am aware the bulbs in question are mounted on the chassis behind the dial towards the front of the receiver, they will be more than likely be 6.5v .3amp miniature Edison screw E10 type. If you have never worked on a radio before, I would recommend you switch off and remove the supply and leave for a day before removing the back, this will allow capacitors to discharge, preventing a chance of a shock, should be straight forward.
John
Old 30th Mar 2017, 5:19 pm   #3

If it looks too tricky at first look (many things do) can we have the model number and photograph. A photograph would be nice anyway.

Old 30th Mar 2017, 7:25 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

More to the point, as you say you've only just bought the radio, has the radio had any recent servicing done on the electronics?

Depending on the type of capacitors that Philips used in this set or whether the originals have been replaced, there may be a couple of grid coupling capacitors just waiting to destroy the output stage, so these need to be checked before using the radio any further, just for peace of mind.

Model as OP stated:-
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_b6x23a.html
Old 31st Mar 2017, 4:16 pm   #5
Eauzone
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone. I am not sure of its service history - it is almost immaculate but I suspect that it is because it has been untouched for years. I would be keen to get it services properly although my options seems quite limited on the sunny Isle of Wight.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 31st Mar 2017, 4:51 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Maplins stock 6.5V 300mA LES bulbs, code BU19V, cost £1.19 each.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 10:20 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Hi Tom, there is the Vintage Radio Workshop in Worthing! I've no connection but he clearly knows his stuff!

Dave W
Bexhill

PS, I suddenly thought VRW is valve only but I see that you qualify!
Closed Thread