UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:12 pm   #1
Vakito227
Hexode

Default Clicking tapping noise possibly coming from valves after turning off.

I'm not sure if it's normal or not but I have recently realised after switching off my valve amplified record player after the valves have fully heated up (>20mins) there is an irregular clicking/tapping noise coming from the amplifier somewhere, most likely the valves and persists for about a minute after turning off.

My best guess is that it's the sound of the metal and glass contracting as the valve cools although you don't hear those noises when you turn a hot incandescent light bulb off. Should be noted that the amplifier still works absolutely fine.

Is it an early sign that the valves will need replacing soon? any help is appreciated.

The amplifier consists of 2 UF89 valves and 2 UL84 valves. 1 of each on 2 separate circuits.

Thanks
Peter
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:32 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Clicking tapping noise possibly coming from valves after turning off.

Turn it off and go and do something else away from it. Stop worrying, its normal when things cool down.
0.1A heater valves are cheap and easy to find anyway.
Its likely to be a metal part cooling anyway, valves are quiet beasties.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:54 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Clicking tapping noise possibly coming from valves after turning off.

Definitely! I've heard the same. Nothing to worry about.

Unusual valve line-up, is it a stereo record player or a fairly powerful mono one with push-pull output? The UF89 is a variable-mu pentode so would introduce a bit of distortion.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:57 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

They mount the chassis on rubber feet of one kind or another on posh sets to stop the heat expansion noises being heard. They are normal on things with metal frames in wooden cabinets.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 5:35 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The amp I'm working on at the minute sound's like it's ripping itself apart when it cool's down, the normal pop's and clicks are amplified by the chassis. It can sound like something is wrong but is just normal contraction as you say.

Still our senses are there for a reason, maybe you've picked up on something. If your UL84's are running hot due to leaky coupling cap's or a similar fault, it will sound louder. Are they blackened? Check the cathode current to be on the safe side.

Andy.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 9:29 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakito227 View Post
The amplifier consists of 2 UF89 valves and 2 UL84 valves. 1 of each on 2 separate circuits.
This sounds like an early HMV/CAPITOL/EMI stereo record player from 1958/59.
Yes, it used an IF valve for the AF function.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 10:50 pm   #7
Vakito227
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Unusual valve line-up, is it a stereo record player or a fairly powerful mono one with push-pull output? The UF89 is a variable-mu pentode so would introduce a bit of distortion.
It's a stereo record player made by EMI/Capitol but badged as HMV in 1958/9 as Edward said. I was told that the amplifier uses U series valves simply because they were cheaper for the manufacturer to buy.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 12:15 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

I would be prepared to say that the U series valves were used for their low heaters at 100ma in series so that they could get away without using a transformer.
The valves cost the same as any others.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 12:21 am   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

Probably not the problem but I did get a couple of 'ticking' 6V6G Russian equivalents from a nice guy in Ukraine a few years ago. He eventually found a couple of good ones for me but he had a whole batch that ticked! Mind you - that was when the amp was running.