UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:44 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Ultra 6308 Stereogram 1964

I have a mate that has a house clearance business. He asked me if I had any use for an Ultra 6308 Stereogram from 1964. To be honest I was not interested but told him I would call around and have a look just out of good manners.
After all he did offer it to me before it went to the tip and you never know what might turn up along the way.

I called around to find this radiogram in the back of his truck. He told me he had collected it from an old gentleman that had just moved to a care home. He was 100 years old and he had promised him it would not be broken up!

Under the circumstances I could not refuse it and it was soon moved to the back of my land Rover.

Oh dear, another radiogram...I have too many...Too big...It's a mania....Help!

To be honest it's an absolute beauty! Seven valves plus a contact cooled rectifier, four wavebands, BSR UA15A changer and a good Ronette stereo cartridge. The cabinet is typically 1960's but of very good taste. Dark wood, high unscratched gloss finish, a worthy addition to any living room.

The valve line up is ECC85 ECH81 EBF89 EB91 ECC83 and two EL84s One for each channel but on radio the output stage circuit is switched for push pull mono output, very unusual.

To be honest it goes like a juke box! Lovely quality and it's my guess that contact cooled rectifier is only giving at the most 75% of it's rated output.

It needs the dial cord sorted, [Flyback will deal with that] and a general overhaul but it certainly is a nice bit of kit.

Good job I don't collect cats...I will find a suitable place where it will feel at home. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170327_185826.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	139938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170327_185855.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	139939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170327_185932.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	139940  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:54 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: Ultra 6308 Stereogram 1964

I don't know John, cats don't take up much space, and they like spending time outside (most do anyway)....
Seriously, well done for doing the decent thing and giving it a safe haven. The style may not be to everyone's taste, but that can be said about almost anything - somebody somewhere will think it's the cats pyjamas !
It'll do you good to get away from all those dirty old tellies for a while.

Have fun !

Ian Blackbourn
Old 27th Mar 2017, 8:13 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Ian and thanks for your comments but radiograms don't leak evil smelling liquids...J.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 11:55 am   #4
martinhog
Pentode

There was a very similar (Fidelity branded) radio gram advertised only last week with a "Buy it now" price of £ 200.00 ! Can't see it now though!
Old 28th Mar 2017, 12:27 pm   #5
Records
Hexode

£200 it makes you wonder where people dream up their prices for things.
I really dont think any radio gram would be worth that even fully restored.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 1:11 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

You'd be surprised- they're riding on the vinyl nostalgia wave at the moment.

What price a Beau Decca in any case?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Mar 2017, 1:51 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Records View Post
£200 it makes you wonder where people dream up their prices for things.
I really dont think any radio gram would be worth that even fully restored.
One can often see Radiograms, some not even stated as being working, for up to £350 regularly listed these days......Many other them are being offered for conversion into retro cocktail cabinets. (Thinks: I wonder what they do with the internals?) And they do need to be RGDs or Decolas - as long as they look, er, trendy!
Old 28th Mar 2017, 1:57 pm   #8
paulsherwin

No further discussion of eBay auctions please.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:52 am   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm really not interested in the value of it [It's obsolete junk to put it straight down the line] but I enjoy the technology of these vintage items and the fun of restoring them.

Most trendy, cult, in vogue, whim and fashionable items are usually the very worst examples of their type [Round Ekco radios, KB Royal Star television, Sobellette radio etc. There are many in all areas of interests.

Very few of these trendy items have actually been repaired by their owners, that is if the number of requests I get to repair them is anything to go by. [I do not repair vintage items from members of the general public other than in very exceptional cases.]

The Ultra gram is a nice well thought out unit and a space will be found for it. It is after all, incredibly, over 50 years old. Maybe something less interesting will have to be passed on, we shall see. It was within 30 minutes of going to the crusher.. Regards, John.
Closed Thread