UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:09 pm   #1
EngTech
Retired Dormant Member

Default BUSH SRP64 Record Player - 'STEREO' Jack Pinouts needed please.

Hello all this is my first post so hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area

I've got an old Bush SRP64 Record player, on the front panel next to the control knobs there is a 5 pin DIN connector labeled "STEREO" which I have been told is a stereo output for an amplifier. Unfortunately I have absolutely no information to prove if this information is correct, ideally I would like to know the pinouts so that I can use the stereo output to drive a Bluetooth audio module (Old tech meets new tech!).

Could anyone provide me with information on the "stereo" jack either in the form of pinouts and or schematics for the player (if they exist).

Your help would be appreciated.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:13 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: BUSH SRP64 Record Player - 'STEREO' Jack Pinouts needed please.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Before worrying too much about pin outs I'd check whether the player has a stereo cartridge with four connections.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:17 pm   #3
EngTech
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Station X, yes she does indeed have a cartridge with four connections
Old 27th Mar 2017, 6:27 pm   #4
Station X

It's likely that the stereo connector just outputs one channel for connection to an external mono amplifier and speaker. The internal and external amplifiers then give stereo.

Does the player appear to be mono or stereo? ie does it have a balance control and two sets of speakers?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 6:45 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I agree the Stereo socket will only just provide the "other" channel. Some internal re-wiring would need to be done to give a stereo output from that socket, but doing that will interefere with the original circuit wiring so best left as is. An option is to get a phono to phono stereo lead, cut off the plug at one end and solder the 3 bare ended wires (LH, RH, Earth) to the tag card under the turntable. There is a risk some hum might be introduced.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 6:46 pm   #6
EngTech
Retired Dormant Member

The record player only has three control knobs, volume, treble, and bass. I think your description sounds very plausible regarding a sing speaker output. It's sounding highly likely that I'll need to have a look inside. However any punouts or schematics that anyone could provide would be very helpful and greatly appriciated.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:51 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Service data here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=7
Old 27th Mar 2017, 8:35 pm   #8
EngTech
Retired Dormant Member

That is perfect thank you for your help
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:40 pm   #9
dinker11
Tetrode

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum....if you can't get the info here, you won't find it anywhere.

This is probably the most friendly and helpful forum that I've come across.

I've just done a mod to a bush record player that might help you although slightly different as it was a stereo unit to start with.

This if i remember is an SRP 53 with a garrard 2025TC deck and acos GP93 cart.

I have taken the stereo wiring from the tag strip of the turntable and connected it to a double pole 2 gang switch hidden away at the rear of the casing to handle the left and right signal.
All of the ground connections are commoned.

The switch can either send the cartridge signal to the internal amp (as if the switch wasn't there) or can direct the signal to two phono sockets that have also been hidden away on the rear.

I've found that this works quite well but may be a bit low in output for a line level (bluetooth adaptor) to bring up to high listening volumes, but that will be dependent on the cartridge that is currently fitted.

I'm almost there with this one although I'm still playing about with some passive resistors and capacitors to get the right output and tonal level.

Once reached, I'll add the required components on to the rear of the phono sockets on the inside of the cabinet.

Hope this gives you another possibility and the result that you would like.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 8:14 am   #10
EngTech
Retired Dormant Member

What you have done sounds like a great idea, especially adding some phono sockets. The record player actually belongs to my girlfriend (it was her mum's!) so I don't want to mod the case in any way, I'm thinking that I may be able to pick up directly from the cartridge as you have done and place a bluetooth transmitter inside the case, I'm considering using a Arduino with a bluetooth module, but still need to do a little more research.

On the subject of research you'rE quite right when you say 'if you can't get the info here, you won't find it anywhere" I'd already had a good hunt around on google but could find very little information on this record player.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I'll update with my progress, might be a little slow though as i've got another project to complete first
Old 28th Mar 2017, 5:08 pm   #11
dazzlevision
Dekatron

In case you decide to use the "Stereo" output of the SRP54....

Looking at the Bush SRP54 circuit, the "Stereo" 5 pole 180 degree DIN socket has a "normally closed" switch contact ganged/coupled to it, which normally commons up the L and R channel outputs of the stereo cartridge and this is amplified by the SRP54's internal amplifier.

When a suitable DIN plug is inserted, the RH output is no longer commoned to the LH (which is amplified by the SRP54) but is available on one contact pin of the "Stereo" socket to connect to the input of a matching Bush amplifier/speaker unit, type AU54, which amplifiers the RH channel.

The AU54 is a cosmetic match to the SRP54, but any amplifier that accepts the input from a ceramic cartridge would do.
Closed Thread