UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:37 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Hitachi turntable

Split from this thread - I have this turntable from 1980 that I want to service.

Not sure of the ID other than it's named 'Unitorque'. It runs intermittently so I'm guessing there's a power supply problem or perhaps a hidden micro switch?

Can anyone help with how I get the platter off, and what to lube it with? There's a brass threaded cap underneath the spindle but it's on there pretty tight, molegrips wouldn't budge it !

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1028 (Large).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	139917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1029 (Large).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	139918  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:58 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi turntable

This looks like it's a seperate unit from the rest of the kit, is that right? Is that the brass turntable boss you're trying to remove. Why? The platter will come off without putting a crude wrench on this. Use sewing machine oil to Lube. There should be a circlip on the centre spindle to release the platter.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:14 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It looks like a typical Japanese belt-drive turntable. I'd expect the platter to lift off fairly easily, perhaps with a light tap from a mallet to the spindle while suspending the unit by the platter (takes two pairs of hands ideally).
is the belt loose and slipping, perhaps?
I'd use SAE 30 motor oil, but a few drops of pretty much any medium-bodied oil will do.

Edit: Edward was replying at the same time. There may indeed be a circlip, but I can't see one in this case.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:16 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I agree it looks like belt drive, but it clearly has 'Direct Drive' printed on it.

There will be microswitches activated by the arm. All these DD autos are much of a muchness.

I would also use something heavier than sewing machine oil, though it doesn't really matter so long as the main bearing is well lubricated.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:42 pm   #5
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks guys. It's direct drive no belts. It doesn't just lift off and I can't see any circlips either? Edward, yes it's part of the music centre in the link.

Thanks for the lube advice.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:46 pm   #6
Station X

Looks like it could be a brass shaft in a brass bearing. Does the turntable lift slightly so that the shaft slides in the bearing?

There's a hole in the side of the shaft. Does it conceal a grub screw, or possibly accomodate a 'C' spanner?

Left Hand Thread?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:04 pm   #7
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks Graham, there's no up/down movement on the platter. Nor is there a grub screw on that brass cap and it looks to be a R/H thread? But, it appears there was a circlip in there at one time, so I'll try a drop penetrating fluid overnight see if that helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP1031.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	139934  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:26 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

There may well be a circlip to retain the centre shaft inside that brass cap, along with a steel ball to support the turntable weight.

Direct drive motors use pancake coils, so the riding height of the turntable sets the magnetic gap, which is important. I wonder if this cap operates as a height adjustment with a locking screw of some sort down that little hole? Along with some oil!

The ring above it al may be a retainer for all that we see, the stationary part of the bearing. The cylinder has a different colour to the cap, so it may well be something like oilite bronze with a plain brass for the endcap. The end of the cylinder has a conical reduction in radius which is likely to be a tool clearance for thread-cutting.

All finest guesswork.

If the hole is a locking screw, and there is a circlip inside releasing it may let the turntable off, taking a polished hardened steel shaft with it.

David
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:35 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I agree it looks like belt drive, but it clearly has 'Direct Drive' printed on it.
So it does!
I was going by the 'finger holes', which are often there to assist in fitting the belt.

Info re oiling here
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:45 pm   #10
ITAM805
Nonode

Well, that was easy ! A squirt of switch cleaner and a quick blast with a hair dryer on full heat and off it came. It sits on a tapered shaft so the heat must have done the trick.

Quote:
Direct drive motors use pancake coils
David, you're right, and therein lies the next problem, the bearing is hidden under a shroud (like an upturned ashtray) which looks like it means a serious strip down

Thanks for link dseymo1

Last edited by ITAM805; 27th Mar 2017 at 7:54 pm.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 8:15 pm   #11
ITAM805
Nonode

Umm.. in that link the guy has a picture of a lube point covered with a plastic cap, I'm wondering whether my brass cap is simply a metal version ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture102.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	139941  
Old 28th Mar 2017, 7:08 pm   #12
ITAM805
Nonode

Oh dear, in my efforts to remove the brass 'lubrication' cap, which wouldn't budge, the whole brass shaft turned, and it appears I've screwed up somehow as the motor shaft is now rubbing somewhere internally
Closed Thread