UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:19 am   #1
tominoz
Retired Dormant Member

Default Derwent Transistor Radio

Help!

I hope everyone is well! I have a puzzle that I am trying to solve. We are orignally from the UK and moved out to Aus 4 years ago. We have just bought a house in rural Victoria. The owner left a few bits behind in his loft and after having a look through some boxes I found a old radio wrapped in some paper.

From what research I have done I have found that it must have come from the UK as Derwent are/were a UK company from Liverpool? but I am struggling to find any more info.

It turns on and there is static but unable to tune but (I'm guessing, I don't know much about radios) that its because it's not from Australia?

If anyone has any info that would be very helpful!

Thank you for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20170327_13_52_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	139899   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20170327_13_53_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	139900   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20170327_13_53_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	139901  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 12:30 pm   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Derwent Transistor Radio

If this radio is working i would think you would hear at least something on the Medium wave band in Victoria depending on distance from Melbourne. There are still some AM stations in that part of the world. You could try ABC News radio on 1026Khz or ABC National radio on 621 Khz. Ofcourse you may have a fault and i would think the wavechange switch could do with a clean of its contacts if the set has been stored in a loft for many years....Jon
Old 27th Mar 2017, 12:37 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks suspiciously like a set of AF11x transistors in there! These devices are notorious for succumbing to the growth of tin whiskers inside the can which will eventually short out the transistor.

Search the forum for "tin whiskers" for everything you (never knew you) wanted to know about this phenomenon!

One of the most common reasons for "lofting" a radio was always it's stopping working......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Mar 2017, 1:07 pm   #4
tominoz
Retired Dormant Member

Hahaha yep i thought that being in a loft there must be a reason. Honestly I dont really know much about this sort of thing and spent a good few hours today emailing folks in this neck of the woods. The replies I got where to head over here.

When I clicked it to on i only left it on for a short period of time as I didnt want to break it. I shall try the MW and see how she goes.

Does anyone know the age of her roughly?

And she shall take pride of place in the kitchen next to the 1954 Kenwood Chef that was in the same box.

Thank you for the advice and I hope blighty is warming up for spring!
Old 27th Mar 2017, 1:28 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Various threads here give some information about Derwent in general and (though not very much) this radio in particular -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=47839

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=34269

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=10081

and others that a forum search will show.

This model must have been among the very last Derwent products, but I'm not sure about its connection to earlier ones as it's from about 1962/3 and all the Derwent radios that usually turn up are from before 1950. It certainly bears the marks of coming from an operation with a limited budget, particularly the 'speaker grille which is a moulding used by quite a few manufacturers but usually as a rear-mounted vent.

Paul
Old 27th Mar 2017, 3:15 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It is very likely that the AF11x transistors are bad. As Chris said, there are lots of threads about this if you search the forum - it's a very, very common fault in British radios of the 60s. It looks as if they will be quite easy to change for anyone with basic electronics skills.

Don't just chuck it in a dumpster if you're not interested in pursuing it though - stick it on Aussie eBay with a link to this thread and you should get a few dollars for it. You'll also be preserving a bit of history.

Just to be clear, the band which you probably know as AM is MW on that radio, and the stations marked are those likely to be received when the radio was made (the British ones are all the BBC, who had a monopoly then). The place names are Irish and continental stations.

LW has never been used for broadcasting in Australia.

Thanks for the weather comment - a nice warm sunny day here in Oxford, the first real taste of spring.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:05 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would date this to early 1960s.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:16 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Give the AF11x transistors a good hard flick and it may just start working.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 27th Mar 2017 at 5:16 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:22 pm   #9
paulsherwin

It's also worth giving the wavechange switch a good clean with contact cleaner and exercising it a bit. The leading brand in the UK is Servisol 10 and in the US is Deoxit - not sure about Oz. Only use WD40 if you have no access to the proper stuff, and even then use it very sparingly with a rag to catch any surplus.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 4:22 am   #10
tominoz
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your help and advice! I shall try the MW today at some point and let you all know how I get on.

Again thank you for all your help.
Closed Thread