UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2017, 8:28 pm   #1
Calanta
Triode

Default Grundig TK 124

Hi, first post having had a quick read over some related threads.

I have taken possession of a lovely Grundig TK124 from my mother, along with a dozen or so reels. I plugged it in to see if it worked, and hey presto it lit up and I managed to get it to play the reel that was left in the machine! (me singing with my grandad when I was about 3 years old!)

However when I selected rewind, it dutifully started to rewind the reel, however I could not then move the control out of the rewind position. So, I just had to switch the machine off once the reel had come to the end.

Is there anything I should be aware of before having a look inside to try to remedy the mechanics of the control knob?
I have a copy of the user manual and the service circuit diagram now, however nothing that really shows me or discusses the mechanics.

Many thanks in advance.

Hugh
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:46 am   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grundig TK 124

The rotary switch for the various functions has a rubber insert to allow the mechanical functions to lock, this may have shed or even be missing, check it.

Colin.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 6:47 pm   #3
Calanta
Triode

Many thanks Colin.
I'll take a look and report findings this weekend.

Cheers.
Hugh
Old 31st Mar 2017, 8:58 pm   #4
Calanta
Triode

Looks like an orange coloured waxy kind of tall washer used to reside on the mechanical rotary mechanism and this has broken leaving a bare shaft which isn't allowing the mechanism to return back stop from rewind. Looks like this is what you were talking about Colin. Thanks.
Old 1st Apr 2017, 10:59 am   #5
Calanta
Triode

There was an orange waxy type of roller around the lock mechanism that has split into three pieces. Can anyone advise the name of this so I can try to get hold of a spare? (see pic)
It plays well and the audio quality is quite impressive having cleaned the heads.

Cheers
Hugh

Quick update: I've actually just bought another TK124 for spares or repairs from ebay so hopefully I'll get the necessary bit from that. There's one or two other minor issues which I'm hoping to use this spare unit for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESXG7215.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	140233  

Last edited by Calanta; 1st Apr 2017 at 11:05 am.
Old 1st Apr 2017, 2:22 pm   #6
Reelman
Octode

Hi,

Have a look at my thread from January, Dave sells these rollers.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132789

Cheers,

Peter
Old 1st Apr 2017, 3:23 pm   #7
Calanta
Triode

Ah that's great thanks Peter!
Closed Thread