UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:36 pm   #21
John G8MWF
Hexode

Default Re: AVO 2 Panel Valve Tester - Help

Success! - I think.

I carefully read the manual and decided to test a KT61. This is one of the valves in my possession that has an Octal base although the socket on the tester has had a lot of wear and may need replacing.

According to the valve data sheet settings 026 540 310 Anode 100V Screen 150V mA/V=9 heaters 6V.
I set 100 turned on and adjusted SET ZERO and waited for valve to warm up while adjusting for nominal zero. Then I set mA/V control to 9 and zeroed the meter.

Pressed key to mA/V position and got a reading of 2.6 - so either this valve is bad, which is quite likely, or my procedure or calibration is wrong or a fault still exist on the tester.

So all in all I am very happy with the results and I think that I am beginning to get the idea on how to use the machine?

ANY help on the above would really be appreciated.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 5:00 pm   #22
martiR2R
Hexode

Congratulations on getting it up and running.

However, (and my apologies for a touch of negativity), there is no way of knowing, at the moment, how accurate the meter is, it may be reading high or low, have a weak magnet or tired spring, you really need to test several new or known good valves to determine this.

Also, are all components and voltages within tolerance, this will obviously affect the readings.

BTW my data chart has the screen setting for a KT61 as PEN LF not 150? Make sure the settings are for the "Two Panel" not a VCM.

Have you tried the "good/bad" test as well as the MA/V test?

Best of luck
Martin

PS; Always do a shorts test first, continuing to test a shorted valve could damage the tester.

Last edited by martiR2R; 30th Mar 2017 at 5:11 pm. Reason: added PS
Old 30th Mar 2017, 5:34 pm   #23
martiR2R
Hexode

Just checked voltage tolerance list and setting for PEN LF and 150 are identical, so ignore that bit!
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:14 pm   #24
John G8MWF
Hexode

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the information and advice. From the sound of things I am at least getting the procedure more or less right!

I haven't carried out the 'shorts' test yet as I haven't sourced the plugs for the front panel as am not sure if they are just metal banana plugs or some type of jack plug - do you know what types these are?

The other issue I have, but I don't think it is causing too much of problem yet, is the Octal base is badly worn and contact is not always so good.
Has anyone replaced one of these or is it better to install a new B9A in the blank position and make up an adapter?

My next task is to try and test another valve with an Octal base and top cap which I have quite a number of.
Then it will be interesting to see if all of the Mu values are low or not.

Cheers for now.

John
Closed Thread