UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2017, 12:16 pm   #1
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Default TMK 500 multimeter 1970's

Call me sentimental or just mental but I've just bought this on ebay
I bought one just like it my first multimeter back in the early 70''s but in the 90's I had my van nicked and all our tools 3 sets me and lads along with the meter which was in mint condition in a nice case I missed one a couple of years ago but just happened on this one so just had to have it
Have you done the same sort of thing ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_110410.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	139728  
Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:19 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: TMK 500 multimeter 1970's

Of course! I have bought many things because I remember them from childhood. Reminds me of very happy times I suppose. So much easier now since we have the likes of eBay. Wait long enough and almost anything you remember will come up for sale.

My grandmother died in Southport in 1972, when we went up for the funeral I discovered that she had left me a little money. Popped into town and bought the very same meter as above from Jaks in Wesley St (believe the firm still exists?). Unfortunately the buzzer did not function and so I had to return it. They did not have another one so I had to leave it.
Spotted one at a radio rally couple of years ago so just had to buy it. And yes the buzzer does work!
Still have a soft spot for analogue multimeters, probably because I have continuously owned one or another since I was about five.
Peter
Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:55 pm   #3
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Peter
It arrived yesterday popped batteries in this morning been using it on site today working fine it's like having an old friend back .......yes I know I'm mad
All the best
Steve
Old 24th Mar 2017, 3:00 pm   #4
jez_145
Pentode

I've lost count of the number of items I've bought off eBay for the very same reason - including meters and many other things - electrical and otherwise. In one way, it's an ideal way of filling your house full of junk. On the other hand, I get a lot of pleasure playing with them and some are even useful !

As a Sandgrounder, regular visitor and, shortly, a returnee to Southport, I can confirm that JAKS in Wesley Street is still there - pretty much the same as it ever was - complete with cardboard boxes of oddments outside in front of the window. Oh yes, and that's where I got my first ever multimeter from, back in the 1970's.

Jerry

Last edited by jez_145; 24th Mar 2017 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Spelling mistake !
Old 24th Mar 2017, 3:43 pm   #5
KeithsTV
Nonode

I bought one of these meters back in 1968. It became a little unreliable about 30 years ago and was replaced by a DMM. A few years ago I found the problem, dirty connections on the spring loaded contacts on the range switch, and fixed it.

There was also a thread where I posted the user manual.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80468

Keith
Old 24th Mar 2017, 4:43 pm   #6
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers Keith I will look that up when I get home... yes dirty switch tracks I had to give it a few turns before I got a good resistance reading my manual was in the case funny enough I've still got the original probes when mine got nicked I had a set of clip probes in the case .....funny old life
Regards steve
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:19 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Perfectly normal I would to buy something which you remember giving pleasure.

20years or so back I bought a Cyclemaster as that was the first vehicle I owned and used to go to work on at 16.Though I rode it around the block when a little younger!

Pretty sure I once had a TMK meter also and I still treasure my AVO Multi Minor my father got me when I started work .£9.9 shillings or close.Plus leather case.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:26 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

I do this regularly. The scope I restored here is the same as the one I had in 1991 which I bought because I missed it: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=127596
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:33 pm   #9
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi Steve,
If you are mad then so am i !
I had one of these for years until the meter went.
Then one sunny day at the car boot I found one
Here it is ,used every day ( normally on ohms )
Yes I also have digi this and five that but sometimes there's nothing like a needle moving !
Cheers Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	139757  
Old 24th Mar 2017, 9:53 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think I have one of these built-into a toolcase for a commercial service organisation. Unfortunately the batteries were still in when I got it, and have leaked so much the inside's almost totally dissolved! I also buy things that have sentimental value (one man's junk..etc) the last one being a vintage sellotape tin to keep my drawing pins in, since we had one at home that only came out at christmas. I'd say vintage enthusiasts are naturally sentimental people.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:00 pm   #11
Reelman
Octode

Glad to hear you are back with your old friend Steve, they are good meters.

Also good to hear Jaks is still there Jerry, many hours spent looking in his windows!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:50 pm   #12
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldieoldie View Post
Then one sunny day at the car boot I found one
Not been to car boot for years the last proper one was in Nègrepelisse in France it's good to see what the French sell
Steve
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:50 pm   #13
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I bought mine in the late '60s, it was a great meter for its day, I still have it somewhere, it always worked, including the buzzer.
It had the needle whizzed across the scale many times but it stayed straight and accurate.
I can't think exactly where it is but I know that there are no batteries in it.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:52 pm   #14
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I also buy things that have sentimental value (one man's junk..etc) the last one being a vintage sellotape tin to keep my drawing pins in, since we had one at home that only came out at Christmas. I'd say vintage enthusiasts are naturally sentimental people.
I also think it is down to values because of the throwaway society we now find ourselves in

Steve
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:56 pm   #15
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Glad to hear you are back with your old friend Steve, they are good meters.
Yes they are very robust Its the movement can't remember what's it called taughband or something
Regards
Steve
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:58 pm   #16
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

By coincidence, I had one of these very meters last week. It was bought (new I assume) by a chap who used to repair Rolls Royce cars, and he kept all his stuff immaculate. He got killed 10 years ago, and a mutual pal bought it from the auction. I took it from him (in fact all three of his testmeters); in the case of the TMK, the COM connector was loose inside. When I got in, the bakelite case was already broken at both top fixings, with black fragments everywhere. Fortunately not in the movement. I spent about one hour on each of three nights making araldite repairs. Perfect when complete. I returned it to him on Wednesday. One of the others had wire in parallel with the big sand filled fuse, and ALL his leads were damaged. He is a good (honest!) pal, or he would still have three bad meters.
Les
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:58 pm   #17
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I bought mine in the late '60s, it was a great meter for its day, I still have it somewhere, it always worked, including the buzzer.
It had the needle whizzed across the scale many times but it stayed straight and accurate.
I can't think exactly where it is but I know that there are no batteries in it.
The one I bought the batteries were just starting to leak. I just caught them in time

Regards Steve
Old 25th Mar 2017, 7:57 pm   #18
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I bought my TMK500 when I was a student in the 1970s, and it still works perfectly. It tends to sit with the probes plugged into the 12 amps DC range, in which configuration it forms a very handy battery tester for alkaline and rechargeable cells.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 25th Mar 2017, 9:51 pm   #19
Restoration73
Nonode

Very good value, we sold loads often with the optional leather case. However I was then
an impecunious engineer and thus unable to buy an Avo 8, I opted for the TMK 700 which
did virtually the same thing.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 11:21 pm   #20
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

I bought the TMK 700B a few years ago when I couldn't find a decent 500 got it from stewarts new condition boxed with manual the 500 is 30,000 o per volt the 700 is 50,000 o per volt both very solid bits of kit

All the best
Steve
Closed Thread