UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:17 pm   #1
Guydio123
Diode

Default Another dead Roberts RT22.

I've just joined the forum after reading the posts on here going for inspiration for some time.

I've recently acquired an RT22 for a fiver, cleaned off the nicotine and dust, installed a fresh battery, but no go. I managed to separate the chassis and there appears to be several dodgy looking components that may need replacing.

A BC328/338 pair look split, a few if the capacitors look like they've swollen and split their plastic coat.

I looked at replacing C18 and C19 first as they were mentioned and highlighted in an old post as a possible problem, but I have been having a problem matching a replacement as the writing on the side states 4u7 (u being micro) does this make it a 4.7 micro farad?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_131659.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	139670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_131555.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	139671  
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:43 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Another dead Roberts RT22.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The service data for your radio can be downloaded here:-

http://www.service-data.com/product....16/7360/m15716

Changing components because they might be faulty is not a good method of repair. You need to do some fault finding.

Do you have a test meter of some kind?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:54 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

4u7 is indeed 4.7 microfarads. This is a common value, readily available from all component suppliers. Which capacitors, other than C18 & 19, do you feel need replacing? BC328 & 338 transistors are common easily available types, but other transistors in the audio amplifier may also have failed. As Graham says, you need to do some fault-finding, preferably with the aid of the service sheet, which costs £1.99 and helps to fund the forum. You also need to be able to understand circuit diagrams, and interpret the radings you get with a multimeter.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:53 pm   #4
Guydio123
Diode

Thanks for the warm welcome and initial help.

So far I've managed to do one test. I've got 9v at T1.
I think I've got the service sheet somewhere so I'll have to try and work my way through.

I've had another look at the service sheet but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done with just my multi meter as there seems to be a lot of testing using an oscilloscope. I've got 9v across C45 and 6.5v at R1.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 8:46 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think you'll get there with just a meter
Old 24th Mar 2017, 9:25 am   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Get the DC conditions correct to start, it will not work with no current or volts. Measure the set current consumption.

Measure the voltage on all the transistors relative to battery negative. Be careful not to short base to collector when doing this.
Make a table of e,b,c and calculate transistor currents.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:13 am   #7
Station X

Concentrate of the Audio Frequency (AF) stages ie TR7 to TR11 first. They're much simpler than the preceding IF and RF stages.

Old 25th Mar 2017, 12:59 am   #8
Guydio123
Diode

Thanks for the suggestions. This evening I worked through the testing the voltages from the service sheet. All were fine (some within 10% variance) except for the test point at r33 which reads 0 volts when the vhf button is depressed and then reads 2.64 when in mf or lf. I assume it's a faulty vhf switch but I still have no output from the other switches either?
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:00 am   #9
Station X

That's OK. Whether TR6 conducts or not, causing a volt drop across R33, depends on a voltage being applied to its base via S4 contacts a and b. When you operate this switch you should see the voltage on TR6 base change.

Check the speaker for continuity.

Do you hear anything from the speaker if you touch the wiper tag of the volume control with a metallic object?

Old 26th Mar 2017, 12:05 am   #10
Guydio123
Diode

Thanks Graham, it was the speaker. It turns out that both radios I'm working on have dead speakers. Replacement have been ordered. Thanks for everyone's input.
Closed Thread