UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2017, 6:47 am   #1
Otari5050
Pentode

Default Where to get D’Arsonval meter rewound?

Does anyone know where I can get a meter re-wound? I have one coming soon that I suspect could be open circuit.

Thanks
Old 18th Mar 2017, 7:50 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Where to get D’Arsonval meter rewound?

We're not ignoring you, we just don't know..

Here the answer is usually 'buy another scruffy one and transplant the meter movement' but as you are in NZ i would hope the answer lies close to home (Kiwis seem to be able to manage the 'impossible'- such as invention of carbon fibre motorcycle forks!)

Regards
Dave Philpott
Old 18th Mar 2017, 8:29 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

If you think you could do it yourself, small reels of fine copper wire are readily obtainable from the Scientific Wire co

Ed
Old 19th Mar 2017, 4:19 am   #4
Otari5050
Pentode

Thanks folks. I'm not too worried where in the world it can be done - I am quite happy to post the meter to wherever.
I have had good experience repairing a meter movement where the pivot suspension let go, but I doubt my skills would extend to re-winding the coil.
One really needs a coil winder to do that, and a large roll of the appropriate enameled copper wire.
As for replacing the meter with another, I don't think it's going to be an option as the meter is in a piece of equipment that's probably 60 years old.
You're right that us Kiwis are innovative but I know where my abilities start and finish (so far!)
Old 19th Mar 2017, 9:20 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

if this is happens to be for an Otari recorder, I have what might possibly be the correct replacement meter.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 6:35 am   #6
FrankB
Heptode

There is a chap on the U.S. Antique Radio Forums who, in the past has rewound them.
www.antiqueradios.com
Its a really fussy job.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 10:01 pm   #7
trh01uk
Octode

Unless your equipment is ridiculously rare, then you probably can get another meter. You just need to do some persistent looking.

Failing that you could try another meter of the right current rating (and preferably resistance), and physical size, and then modify the scale. Or move the scale from the defunct meter over to the new one. All that is far easier than rewinding the coil.

Richard
Old 31st Mar 2017, 11:07 pm   #8
Otari5050
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Unless your equipment is ridiculously rare, then you probably can get another meter. You just need to do some persistent looking.

Failing that you could try another meter of the right current rating (and preferably resistance), and physical size, and then modify the scale. Or move the scale from the defunct meter over to the new one. All that is far easier than rewinding the coil.
Yes indeed - those are options I'm aware of. I might get lucky and find that it's actually not the meter at fault, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask about this topic as I often get equipment with meters coming across my bench and occasionally there will be a dead one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
There is a chap on the U.S. Antique Radio Forums who, in the past has rewound them.
www.antiqueradios.com
Its a really fussy job.
Thanks for the info. I can imagine it being one of those PITA jobs.
Closed Thread