UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2017, 5:40 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default Rotatone Zener Diode question

I've fitted a few of these now but one thing I just don't get is this: if the ctt. polarity rectifier is fitted the instructions also say to fit a Zener diode to limit the voltage. Looking at the diagram I can't really see how the diode will have any affect as it is fitted after the Rotatone? Wouldn't it need to be fitted before the Rotatone to act as a voltage clamp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	139278  
Old 14th Mar 2017, 8:25 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Rotatone Zener Diode question

As far as I can see, the 24V zener is ensuring that no more than 24V is supplied to the Rotatone and the 5.1V one is ensuring that the speech circuit cannot drop the voltage below about 5V, thus keeping the Rotatone within its operatating range.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 10:22 pm   #3
els1967
Pentode

The thing I'm struggling with is how the z.d. would stop the voltage dropping below 5v. Isn't it facing the wrong way in that it will allow a max of 5v through on the positive side which is after the positive on the Rotatone?
Old 15th Mar 2017, 8:24 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think input is needed here from someone with a deeper knowledge of zener diodes than I have - not difficult, given that mine just about ends at them stopping the voltage across them exceeding the specified level.
Old 15th Mar 2017, 9:44 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think the idea is that without the 5.1V zener (the wires to it being connected, not open, of course), if the transmitter and induction coil circuit have a sufficiently low resistane then they will draw enough current from the telephone line to pull the voltage across the Rotatone down to less than 5V, at which point the Rotatone doesn't work properly.

With the 5.1V zener in the circuit, whatever the resistance of the transmitter and induction coil there will be at least 5.1V across that circuit (due to the zener) meaning the Rotatone can work.
Closed Thread