UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2017, 10:57 am   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Telequipment S31

I have one of these which is basicly working. Displays a sine wave, which is good as it would be a pain to replace parts to find the tube is low.

What I would like to know is, what are the most liable parts to fail which should be replaced as at the moment I wouldn't like to leave it for long periods.

I found the 1A mains fuse blown, on variac with A meter i found it was drawing about 500 to 750ma

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8192.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	139193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8193.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	139194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8194.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	139195   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8195.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	139196  
Old 13th Mar 2017, 4:53 pm   #2
dave cox
Nonode

Default Re: Telequipment S31

Personally, I would run a vacuum cleaner over it, less to catch fire that way!
I don't see any paper caps in there ...

dc
Old 13th Mar 2017, 5:33 pm   #3
Gridiron
Heptode

The capacitors with the diamond logos look like Wima types, these could have reliability problems.
Mike.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 7:05 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Unless you are unlucky, most scopes just sit there with very little use. Certainly all the old ones I have had have had a good CRT, inc my 1930's Cossor 339A.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 7:34 pm   #5
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have a S51B with a blown fuse. There was a thread which suggested replacing the EHT rectifier with half a dozen 1N4007 diodes in series and replacing the EHT reservoir capacitor. It is not on my priority list at present.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 12:49 am   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

As already mentioned, those brown Wima capacitors mostly on the time/cm change switch WILL almost certainly all be leaky.
The long brown HT rectifying diodes tend to lose efficiency, resulting in a loss of EHT. If low (compare with values in manual) replace with a high voltage diode and series resistor (try 4k7).
Low HT can of course be a low emission rectifier valve, easily replaced.If I recall, all other valves are ECF80, you may need the odd replacement.
Then you will have a super little 'scope, a world leader in its day for value for money combined with quality.
Les.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:49 pm   #7
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

I have got two of these so will be watching your progress with interest.

I blew mine out with compressed air to get rid of the dust. I'm almost finished making a cap reformer and have the ht diodes in case the eht sticks are shot.

Carl.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 11:08 am   #8
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I have it all working, however the trace isn't always stable, there seems to be ripple on the HT and the HT caps are getting warm, none in stock so will order. I replaced the caps as in Gridiron reply, some did seem an a very poor shape, some split. So far so good.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 11:22 am   #9
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Interesting to hear all that. Did you do any reforming of the electrolytics before you switched it on? One of the caps on the time/div switch on mine is split. Most of then look dodgy so I plan to replace them.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 2:13 pm   #10
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I did reform, but s they are warming up I will just empty the cans and put some new caps in. There were a few split ones, mainly inline with inputs.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 4:28 pm   #11
WME_bill
Octode

S31. I have a S32A, introduced a few years later than the S31 as an improved version.
I had to replace one of the polystyrene TB capacitors, non-linear sweep; C18, the 8uf electrolytic in the Y Amp for the 150V rail; and one of the little neons which protect the grid of Y Amp valves during warm up, the lead out wire was broken. No trouble at all with the EHT rectifiers, STC stick style K8/50. Not found necessary to reform electrolytics either.
It is a very nice little scope, handles well even now and deservedly swept the market 1960 to 1966. wme_bill.

Last edited by WME_bill; 29th Mar 2017 at 4:48 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 11:11 am   #12
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

I'm starting to think I should just plug mine in through a limiter and see what happens....
Closed Thread