UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:02 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

Good evening,
I have bought a steel pipe which I intend to use to hold up a vintage concrete utilities swan neck street lamp top out in the garden. This is 70mm diameter and will be roughly 2-2.5 metres long. I can paint the outside of the pipe without a problem though I am looking for a way of ensuring that the inside of the pipe does not rust. I was thinking maybe blowing some spray paint inside though it will not be very even. Does anyone have any ideas.

Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:07 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

A synthetic paint roller cartridge used end-ways, on a broom handle or summat similar. 4 or 5 swipes ought to do it.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:10 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

Seal one end.
Pour in some thinned paint.
Seal the second end.
Roll or rotate pipe to distribute paint.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:09 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Get it Galvanised, may be a bit of an overkill and painting the outside will be difficult, best left a few months before painting.

John.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:26 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Support the pipe slightly off perfectly horizontal. Run paint through it. turn it a bit and run the paint through it again.... repeat until covered.

David
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:33 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Treat it to a good dose of car rustproofing cavity wax perhaps instead of paint?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:35 am   #7
mark_in_manc
Octode

I've used all sorts of fancy paints to try to stop steel things going rusty, and at the moment I'm a big fan of Screwfix No-nonsense red oxide primer. Thick, loads of pigment, sticks like to a blanket. Cheap enough to pour some in, bung the ends and roll it around, as suggested above. De-grease with some cheap acetone first, same technique?
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:38 am   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

A method of painting the inside of cast iron drain pipes in situ that I read in an old book was to make a plug of rag and use a piece of string to draw it down the pipe and up again, having poured paint on the rag from the top to thoroughly soak it. The recommended paint was black bitumen paint, which I don't think has (yet) been banned. I haven't tried it myself. The best anti-rust paint I have used is Calcium Plumbate. I treated our rather rusty Crittal steel kitchen and bathroom windows with it when we moved in more than 30 years ago, and the rust has never reappeared. I don't think it has actually been banned, but no-one seems to offer it for retail sale in the UK any more. I did see an almost full 5 litre tin offered on ebay about 6 months ago, but it was too far to go to get it.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Feb 2017 at 12:45 am.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:55 am   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
I've used all sorts of fancy paints to try to stop steel things going rusty, and at the moment I'm a big fan of Screwfix No-nonsense red oxide primer. Thick, loads of pigment, sticks like to a blanket. Cheap enough to pour some in, bung the ends and roll it around, as suggested above. De-grease with some cheap acetone first, same technique?
That stuff is excellent; it's actually made by a very big and successful paint company (name eludes me at this moment) who sell it as a quick drying zinc phosphate primer, but obvioulsy package it separately for Screwfix as their own brand 'red oxide primer'. Of course the term red oxide refers only to the colour and all lead compounds have now been excluded from use. Much recommended.

B
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 8:10 am   #10
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Fill it with sump oil, never seen an engine rust on the inside. And it gets rid of the oil.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 9:34 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

As per H1360's idea:
Shell Ensis (qv) as used for farm machinery left outside in all weathers.
Or Dinitrol.

Old used engine oil can contain acids and other undesireable things.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 9:44 am   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Waxoil, lance, and try and arrange some permanent ventilation.

Or take it to a local Waxoil man and bung him some cash.

Lawrence.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 10:38 am   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
As per H1360's idea:

I had forgotten about this one, in time it sets like a hard brown varnish, good stuff.

John.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 11:10 am   #14

Quote:
and try and arrange some permanent ventilation.
Even a small (1/4") weep hole at the bottom will help a lot.

Old 22nd Feb 2017, 11:24 am   #15
Station X

I've found that "small" weep holes invariably get blocked and need clearing regularly.

Better to drill one of 1/2" diameter or more so long as it doesn't weaken the pipe.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 12:30 pm   #16
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
As per H1360's idea:
Or Dinitrol.

Old used engine oil can contain acids and other undesireable things.
So does rain water! Its only a pipe, with sump oil it will take longer than Christopher is concerned to rust away.
The acids are mild, they don't corrode the oil filter or other engine parts.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 1:32 pm   #17
Silicon
Nonode

Do you intend to run a cable through the pipe?

Some of the substances suggested above would degrade PVC insulation.
Polyethylene insulation might be more resistant.

The cable would stick to the bitumen paint.

An 'oil' based red primer would be my choice.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 8:55 pm   #18
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

We will all be dead by the time it rusts through..J.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 12:14 am   #19
emeritus
Dekatron

I always wondered what was so special about Shell Ensis oil! The Rootes service manual for my long since departed Hillman Imp recommends dipping the cylinder head bolts in Ensis oil before re-assembling to prevent "second corrosion", but when I enquired (circa 1972) when tacking my first (of many) cylinder head gasket replacement, it was only available in 5 or 40 gallon drums, and a mechanic at the local Rootes dealer said that they just used clean engine oil.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:12 am   #20
FrankB
Heptode

I have used a paint called Carbon Elastic Black to good effect. I believe ATCO Paint Co. makes it here in the States. Degrease the inside of the pipe before swabbing in it, like cleaning a rifle barrel.
Do this outside in warm weather. It smells like the blazes. Also it even sticks to light rust.
I treated patio posts with it, and even an antenna pole made from black iron. When my folks died, the patio posts were still in great shape after 15+ years. The antenna pole is going on 10 years now and still good. No visible rust, and it really rains here too.
The paint is a coal tar base. Wear disposable clothing & gloves. If it gets on you its the devils own time to get it off and as far as clothing goes- its the rubbish bin. It takes 2-3 weeks to dry also.

Last edited by FrankB; 24th Mar 2017 at 2:13 am. Reason: More info.
Closed Thread