UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2017, 7:34 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Radio scanner??

I was given this without an aerial but not sure how to test it now I have made an aerial. Some kind of security radio checker. Would it be of use to us venarable people?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2913.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	137268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2910.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	137269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	137270  
Old 8th Feb 2017, 7:57 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Radio scanner??

Possibly a bug-sweeper intended to find listening devices in hotel rooms etc. If you don't have a sig gen, I wonder if it'll pick up the local osc in an FM portable?
Old 8th Feb 2017, 8:01 pm   #3
Pete_kaye
Octode

It is made by Cooper security , I have just noticed on the back.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 3:44 pm   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

All Cooper security could tell me was that it operates at 868MHz.Part no 790reur-00. Any use to anyone?
I recently walked around a large university and the top light came on and a hiss when switched to Audio.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:10 pm   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

This is a hand-held signal strength meter for carrying out a site survey prior to installing a wireless intruder alarm system. You place a matching transmitter where you plan to install the main receiver/control panel, then tour the site measuring the signal strength at each point where you plan to fit a wireless detector unit.

Here's an excerpt from the instruction manual:

Quote:
Radio Site Survey

It is very difficult to predict exactly, just by looking at a site, how well the transmitters and receivers of a wireless alarm installation will perform. Cooper Security strongly recommend that you measure the radio environment at a site before you start the installation.

Site Survey With The 790r

The 790r signal strength meter is specifically designed to help you carry out a radio site survey at 868MHz. The 790r works with a test transmitter, the 734REUR-01, that you place at the position you think will work for the receiver. When you switch the transmitter on you can tour the site with the 790r and measure how strong the signal is at each of your proposed transmitter locations.

This procedure works because radio waves do not care in which direction they travel along a particular path. They will experience the same conditions going from A to B as they do going from B to A.

The front of the 790r shows graphically the strength of the signal it picks up from the test transmitter. The 790r and 734 are calibrated so that they show signal strength in “units”. Cooper Security recommend that for the best operation of any 868MHz device the 790r should show between four and nine units of signal strength.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:20 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

868MHz is pretty much a "free-for-all" spectrum-slice - used for a whole range of wireless-devices (intruder-alarms, some voice-comms, and - my favourite - frozen-food-cabinets in supermarkets so they can 'call home' and signal a panic if the Häagen-Dazs or Ben&Jerry's is about to go into meltdown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_...Devices#SRD860

Your thing is a "sniffer" to tell if there are other occupiers of the channels in the locality.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:49 pm   #7
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
frozen-food-cabinets in supermarkets so they can 'call home' and signal a panic if the Häagen-Dazs or Ben&Jerry's is about to go into meltdown.
Surely that scenario rates an emergency call to the breakdown service?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 18th Feb 2017, 8:55 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

That IS the emergency call to the breakdown service.

David
Old 19th Feb 2017, 11:45 am   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I think there are a number of specific channels in the 868MHz band. Devices hunt for a free channel, a bit like cordless phones do.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread