UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 3:07 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Looking for a vintage intercom set

I'm about to move house into a tall townhouse. It's not that it's a palace, just that it's narrow but tall. So the basement is a LooooOooong way from the attic. I'd like to install an intercom that would fit the Victorian house. Anybody know of one on the market or is selling one they already have in their possession/collection? Ideally I'm looking for something like a pair of 746 STYLE wall phones talking to each other which maybe ring when you lift either handset.

I'm NOT looking for the white plastic modern intercoms you see at Maplin or eBay.

I'm also NOT looking for a vintage military intercom set, but vintage industrial COULD work.

Thanks!!
Old 30th Jan 2017, 4:02 pm   #2

Default Re: Looking for a vintage intercom set

'Ordinary' phones and a small PABX? This way you can answer and make external calls too. Also cheap 'phones could be used until you find period ones.

Don't forget to run some CAT5 ethernet cable while you are at it.

Last edited by Guest; 30th Jan 2017 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Added a suggestion.

Old 30th Jan 2017, 4:11 pm   #3
Voxophone
Hexode

Not exactly a purpose-built intercom set, but the GPO demonstration set no. 6 will do the job and should look the part: http://www.britishtelephones.com/demo6.htm

I bought one last year and it's a fun little system (haven't got round to installing it yet though). Basically its just two bakelite telephones collected by four wires with miniature lightbulbs taking the place of bells. When you lift either handset, the bulb at the other end will light. All it requries is a cable between them and a 5V battery or power supply at one end.

It might be possible to modify with a bell if required instead of the bulbs. I should also point out that the dials are only cosmetic. Although they are fully functional in themselves, they don't connect to anything and aren't used when making calls.

Not sure how common these are, but I think they turn up on eBay from time to time. I got mine at auction.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 4:32 pm   #4
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxophone View Post
the GPO demonstration set no. 6 will do the job and should look the part
Not willing to part with your set Voxophone? ;-)
Thanks for the tip, though, if not!!

merlinmaxwell: thank you. But it would need to be a PABX capable of ringing the old phones and (potentially, depending on setup) accepting pulse dialing, right?
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:07 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

A House Telephone System? Perhaps a House Telephone System No 2, which uses telephones that look like 700 series (never seen them wall-mount though) Diagrams Q361 and Q362 cover it, available from Sam Hallas's site.

These telephones were made for 5,10 and 15 extensions. The simple scheme lets you have that many telephones. A slight modification lets you have one more.

Or a Planphone and an internal extension. You can link the former to an exchange line as
well, but you don't need to just to get communication between the Planphone and the extension. Diagram N625 covers the Planphone, N4509 covers Plan 107 (which is using it with one extension). Again available from Sam's site.

Where you find these I don't know, but it's something else to look for.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 8:06 pm   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

A Victorian house would probably use a speaking tube, with electric bells to call the designated person to the tube. The original would have had a communal tube with rubber hoses which hung down at each position, closing the tube off when not in use, or stoppers in the mouthpieces - in some systems the stoppers had whistles in so you removed your stopper, blew into your mouthpiece and the other mouthpieces all whistled to call the person.

Do you need room-to-room calling with privacy, handsets on a common party line with electric bell pushes to call, or an all-call speaker system?

One answer would be to mount a modern loudspeaker (then you don't have to arrange handsets or hookswitches) intercom into old wooden boxes.

http://virginian.mdodd.com/intercom.html
Old 30th Jan 2017, 9:15 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

What about a WW1-vintage field telephone?

Not quite "Victorian" but certainly 'period'.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 12:23 am   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Speaking of which (excuse the pun!), here's the section on Speaking Tubes from the 1892 GEC catalogue, featuring the patented "Pontifex" attachment allowing you to speak and hear simultaneously. I am afraid that that page of the catalogue is slightly damaged, but only some prices are missing. Speaking tubes are also listed in the index to the 1911 GEC catalogue (4 volumes), but are in a volume I do not have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GEC Speaking Tubes 1892.pdf (448.7 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 31st Jan 2017 at 12:35 am.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 1:09 am   #9
hamid_1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Ideally I'm looking for something like a pair of 746 STYLE wall phones talking to each other which maybe ring when you lift either handset.
There's an easy way of doing this, as long as you don't mind using a bit of modern technology.
See details here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack...hone-Intercom/

It works, but is limited to just 2 phones. For a more flexible solution, it's worth considering a PBX that can support pulse dialling (rotary dial) phones. This would enable you to have several vintage phones, each with its own extension number. You can then dial the number of the specific phone you want to ring.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 10:33 am   #10
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
There's an easy way of doing this, as long as you don't mind using a bit of modern technology.

It works, but is limited to just 2 phones.
Although multiple phones can be paralleled on each 'line' but without intercom between phones on the same line. If the two lines were run to all location, with changeover switches at each phone, every phone could be left switched to the 'answer' line. To make a call, switch the phone to the 'call' line and lift the handset. All the other phones on the 'answer' line would ring (subject to ringer equivalence).

Replace handset and reset switch at end of call.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:01 am   #11
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Speaking of which (excuse the pun!), here's the section on Speaking Tubes from the 1892 GEC catalogue, featuring the patented "Pontifex" attachment allowing you to speak and hear simultaneously. I am afraid that that page of the catalogue is slightly damaged, but only some prices are missing. Speaking tubes are also listed in the index to the 1911 GEC catalogue (4 volumes), but are in a volume I do not have.
More info here
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/C.../voicepipe.htm
and another catalogue here
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-...gue-April-1902
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:28 am   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

Thanks for that: it explains why the telephone was sometimes referred to as "the blower".
Old 31st Jan 2017, 1:08 pm   #13
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post

It works, but is limited to just 2 phones.
That looks brilliant, but I guess I'd have to find a VoIP adaptor suitable for use with BT plugs?
Old 31st Jan 2017, 1:20 pm   #14
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Not if you were using vintage phones, they're just (or can be wired as) a 2-wire connection.

Or you can get RJ11 to BT adapters, you'd need one which includes a ringing capacitor / master socket
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ11-Irish-.../dp/B00GJ85PZ2
(out of stock, but somewhere would have them)
Old 31st Jan 2017, 3:29 pm   #15
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Try eBay - this firm has had them in stock and I and others on CNet (The replica of the old GPO phone network using VoIP) have used them for years http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-US-to...0AAOSwfcVUIekD - they are a lot cheaper if bought in larger quantities. I'm forever ordering them ten at a time. They work OK with all ATAs I've come across. But another option would be to use a master socket where the phones are and just connect the wiring to the ATA using a lead with an RJ11 at the ATA end.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
Old 31st Jan 2017, 3:32 pm   #16
els1967
Pentode

If you go for a PABX you will need a structured cabling solution to make it work. I have a Orchid PABX which wouldn't now be my first choice but old ones can be bought for next to nothing. It doesn't support pulse dialing but I you can buy pulse to tone conversion kits for retro phones quite cheaply but you need to be handy with a soldering iron to fit them. The ring current is also quite low but bells can be adjusted and I'm quite happy to have them nt "turned up to 10" as it where. Don't forget you will need to extend the BT line to where your PABX will be located.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:30 pm   #17
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by els1967 View Post
If you go for a PABX you will need a structured cabling solution to make it work.
I find a few pairs of CW1308 slung round the doorframes on cleats works adequately well for that authentic early 1980s telephonic experience.

One advantage of a newish PBX like a Panasonic is that they can have door stations added, so you can answer the door from the attic or basement.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:45 pm   #18
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I'm about to move house into a tall townhouse. It's not that it's a palace, just that it's narrow but tall. So the basement is a LooooOooong way from the attic. I'd like to install an intercom that would fit the Victorian house. Anybody know of one on the market or is selling one they already have in their possession/collection? Ideally I'm looking for something like a pair of 746 STYLE wall phones talking to each other which maybe ring when you lift either handset.
http://www.britishtelephones.com/bellst20.htm

Bellset 20 would be ideal

I just happen to have one that I could let go at forum buddies rate
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:50 pm   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

If you don't mind both phones ringing on an incoming call, wiring them in parallel and unmodified for plug and socket working should get bell tinkle when loop dialling. Dial 9 and you will be able to speak phone to phone until the howler cuts in. Should suffice for a stop gap.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 5:16 pm   #20
els1967
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
I find a few pairs of CW1308 slung round the doorframes on cleats works adequately well for that authentic early 1980s telephonic experience.
Closed Thread