UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:35 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default GP NiMH prismatic battery charger

Back in September 2016, I appealed for information about chargers for prismatic or 'gumstick' NiMH batteries, as used in several models of 1980s Sony mini-disc Walkman. Andy a.k.a.'Scimitar' kindly offered me a second-hand example, designed to charge two prismatic or AA cells simultaneously, at a very reasonable price and I have just got round to fixing it.

On arrival, the charger was working but had clearly suffered from corrosion due to leakage from an AA cell. I dismantled the charger and found that one of the AA negative spring contacts had disintegrated, and that the corrosion had penetrated right through to the copper foil side of the PCB. In removing the remnants of the old spring contact, part of the copper foil was found to be corroded away.

I fashioned a replacement spring contact out of a bright nickel-plated paper clip of roughly the right gauge, copying the profile of the remaining undamaged contact, and reinforced the damaged copper land on the foil side of the PCB with tinned copper wire. With a bit of fiddling, the new contact was fitted and secured to the board with a generous quantity of solder. The rest of the job involved removing all traces of corrosion from the remaining contacts and from inside the plastic case. On reassembly, the new contact required minor adjustment and the charger then worked perfectly. The new contact is the one on the upper right in the first image.

Thanks to Andy for the charger.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GP charger contact.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	136681   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP charger.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	136682  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 30th Jan 2017 at 1:37 am. Reason: Clarification
Old 30th Jan 2017, 3:00 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: GP NiMH prismatic battery charger

Nice! That looks as good as new.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:16 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: GP NiMH prismatic battery charger

Thanks Julie. It's amazing what a bit of soapy water can do!

Mods, since posting it has occurred to me that this device could be rather too modern for 'Success Stories' and the thread may well be better situated in 'Modern Equipment'. Many thanks.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread