UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2017, 9:22 pm   #41
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Is it wrong to sell your restorations?

John of Warnham - 'Heatercathodeshort' has a good idea there- we might reasonably expect stuff that has been restored/modified/serviced using a significant amount of help from this forum, to be offered here before appearing on something like ebay. Alright, it's not going to happen every time, but it's something to aim for.

There is certainly a clash of cultures with enthusiasts, collectors and traders (and people who are perhaps a combination of two or more of these demographics) having their own expectations of what is and is not cricket.

I have seen a few thread 'shutdowns' that cross from curt into rude, but in the main I find the reasoning for shutdowns was coherent even if i didn't agree with it.

If any of my stuff ever had to be sold (unlikely I hope) it would appear on here first as the quality and accuracy of the dialogue would give me a good steer as to whether I was selling to the right person- ie someone who would enjoy it.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 9:26 pm   #42
AC/HL
Dekatron

There seems to be some misunderstanding here in several simultaneous directions.
The radio in question is the property of a member (for the time being in any case). As with every members' property it's theirs, and theirs alone, to do with as they wish, however it was obtained.

Some members go to great lengths to preserve originality, and often encourage others to do the same. Others are keen modders and updaters. We have many members who are quite prolific restorers and/or repairers, and others who have joined to renovate just one or a couple of sets. Also every level of experience. It doesn't take anyone, who is interested, long to identify all types, and all are equally welcome. Advice is freely sought by, and offered to, all members irrespective of intent and ability.

We have a policy of not discussing anything on eBay, and this applies equally to items that have been the subject of a thread here, if we are so informed. No other criticism was made, or implied. All the views expressed here are those of the individual members.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 10:23 pm   #43
The Philpott
Dekatron

I don't think it's misunderstanding, i think it's just wandering off-topic- which i am constantly doing myself. I find it difficult to avoid.

It is probably just as well that it's not generally viable to make a profit from selling a restoration, however this does have the downside that people who are doing things for profit must end up making the now infamous faux retro items like nixie clocks and table lamps.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 10:44 pm   #44
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I agree, we have all gone off at different tangents including me. It has happened before so possibly now is the time to close and concentrate on more positive things?

The old saying, you can't please all of the folks all the time. Though most of the time all is fine.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 10:55 pm   #45
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
I agree, we have all gone off at different tangents including me. It has happened before so possibly now is the time to close and concentrate on more positive things?
I agree. Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We will be reading through this carefully over the next few days to see if there are any rule tweaks or other considerations to make.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread