UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2017, 11:09 am   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Radiophile Magazine

Issue 138 / 139 (A special combined issue) is now on its way. Any expired subscriptions where payment was sent within the last couple of weeks will have a short delay as I will be sending out from here once a bulk load of magazines arrive (postage labels had to go to the printers during December).

A note from Chas in this issue explains the delay, and also asks for feedback from subscribers (or prospective subscribers) regarding the future of the magazine. Broadly, costs are rising substantially, and it is unlikely it can continue in its current format for much longer. Possible options include increasing the subscriber base (we are working on that), moving to 3 issue per year (with more pages per issue), or increasing the subscription price.

Any feedback via letter, email, website, or facebook is welcome and I will pass onto Chas before he makes any final decision. Personally I think moving to 3 issues per year is the most sensible option, as it also would help Chas get issues out on time a bit more often than late - but really any sensible option can go on the table.

Best regards

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover 138.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	136280  
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 11:48 am   #2
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Radiophile Magazine

Would anyone entertain the idea of combining it with the Bulletin? Failing magazines have a long history of combining with those covering similar territory. Cost-saving all round I should think - once the mechanics of the different editing processes or other conflicts have been ironed out.

Maybe not in the immediate future, but eventually...?

Ian
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 1:52 pm   #3
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Issue 138 / 139 (A special combined issue) is now on its way.
Mine arrived yesterday so no issue with delivery this time thanks Graham.

Quote:
Possible options include increasing the subscriber base (we are working on that), moving to 3 issue per year (with more pages per issue), or increasing the subscription price.
Or maybe a combination of all 3? I'd be happy with 3 issues per year.

John
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 3:09 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Any feedback via letter, email, website, or facebook is welcome and I will pass onto Chas before he makes any final decision.
I'd add PM to that list.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 3:47 pm   #5
GrahamN
Hexode

Ian - The Radiophile is not a 'failing magazine'. It is simply the fact that subscription increases have not kept up with the increased costs of postage, printing, etc. and Chas is looking for alternatives to a simple increase in price.

Combining with the Bulletin is out of the question. The Bulletin is published by the BVWS for members - The Radiophile is a commercial magazine.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 5:19 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

We all need to support what is most sensible for Chas.This is another excellent magazine and I am proud to have subscribed from day one.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 8:47 pm   #7
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
[...]
Combining with the Bulletin is out of the question. The Bulletin is published by the BVWS for members - The Radiophile is a commercial magazine.
Yes, indeed. I had overlooked that obvious point.

What about considering Radio Bygones then when/if the time ever comes?

Ian
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 12:28 am   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

As both a BVWS member and a Radiophile subscriber, in my opinion the two are linked by a common interest yet appeal to different tastes and audiences.

I have to say that I have found the last few editions of The Radiophile to contain an increasing proportion of what I can only call 'padding'. Again, this is purely my personal opinion. The Radiophile has a unique style, and I know that many readers enjoy Chas's reminiscences about his personal life and the lengthy stories of the escapades of Monty Fysshe. As a consequence, I'd be happy with a move to three issues per year, as long as those issues contained a greater proportion of genuine content about vintage radio repair and restoration.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 23rd Jan 2017 at 12:30 am. Reason: Clarity
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 12:33 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I wouldn't want to see any of the publications combine, as the BVWS Bulletin, Radiophile and Radio Bygones are distinct publications with their own styles and attract different readers even though they target a broadly similar market.

Obviously combining would be better than closing if that time ever came, but that is clearly not the situation now.

As I have not subscribed to Radiophile for several years I cannot comment on the options suggested, other than supporting whatever works best for the long term success of the magazine.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Jan 2017, 8:08 am   #10
thermionic
Heptode

As a Radiophile subscriber, I would be sad to see the magazine reduce from 4 to 3 issues a year. However, if this is the only way to ensure it's regular appearance and future then I'm happy to accept.

I will say, however, that I feel a little 'short changed' with the 'double issue' just received. This is a misnomer. The usual single issue runs to 48 pages whereas this double issue is 64. My maths has always been pretty dodgy, but I'm certain that 2 times 48 'ain't 64!

SimonT.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 11:41 am   #11
GrahamN
Hexode

Simon

The 'double' really relates to the fact that every now and again Chas puts (about) twice as many technical articles into a single magazine in order to 'catch up' with the 4 copies per year. If it had double the actual pages, then it would either have to have far more articles or double what has been described above as 'padding'!

If he decides to go with 3 issues per year as standard, then as far as I understand it each issue would be 64 pages, therefore the same total number of pages as currently. It would also imply that there would be a large increase in the number of technical articles, so perhaps making it more interesting to those of us who really like that aspect of the magazine (though personally I do enjoy the 'padding' and feel that it is quite a lot of what differentiates the magazine from the Bulletin - and part of the reason I subscribe to both).
Old 24th Jan 2017, 12:11 pm   #12
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It's not the pages Chas puts in, it's what he puts into the pages that counts!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Jan 2017, 12:55 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Bit like life,it is the quality not the length! Anyway my Radiophile has not even arrived as yet.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 5:06 pm   #14
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
What about considering Radio Bygones then when/if the time ever comes?
I believe the very first issue of Radio Bygone was combined with the Radiophile and think I still have the copy.

Jim
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:21 pm   #15
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar. Although I'm not sure it was the first Radio Bygones, but some time later, although I may be wrong. It would be interesting if anyone could dig out the relevant copies, before, during and after, but I think there was only one combined issue.

It's many years ago now, at a time when I subscribed to both magazines, before I joined the BVWS I think, so was probably in the early 1990s.

I dimly recall Chas writing a fairly disgruntled piece when the two publications parted company. Anyway, that's at least one Radio Bygones editor ago...
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:26 pm   #16
GrahamN
Hexode

There was 1 issue - Radio Bygones Issue 1 incorporating The Radiophile. August / September 1989

By the time issue 2 of Radio Bygones went to press, the collaboration was no more....
Old 24th Jan 2017, 7:14 pm   #17
kalee20
Dekatron

I thought Radiophile was originally called Radiogram...?
Old 24th Jan 2017, 7:24 pm   #18
GrahamN
Hexode

It was - but earlier than 1989. The magazine was renamed The Radiophile from issue 16 June / July 1988. The brief link with Radio Bygones was between issues 22 and 23
Old 26th Jan 2017, 5:31 pm   #19
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
The 'double' really relates to the fact that every now and again Chas puts (about) twice as many technical articles into a single magazine ......If it had double the actual pages, then it would either have to have far more articles or double what has been described above as 'padding'!

If he decides to go with 3 issues per year as standard, then as far as I understand it each issue would be 64 pages, therefore the same total number of pages as currently.
Hi Graham.

Sorry if my comments regarding the 'double issue' conveyed a false sense of enjoyment......I enjoy reading the Radiophile for what it is, a unique publication. Perhaps Chas describing it as a ' double issue' was not the best description.

Whilst I intimated that I would be sad for the magazine to reduce from 4 to 3 issues per year, it is good to know that the equivalent amount of printed pages would still be provided overall, with not too much 'padding' ��.

SimonT.
Old 26th Jan 2017, 7:23 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to Graham's clarification [in post 16] re an attempted magazine merger, this was a largely unknown anomaly in The Radiophile's history until recently although it was explained in a recent thread. I keep failing to send a photo copy of the front page [at least] from this "binary" edition to Graham for his archive. Given that it wasn't a very happy experience and taking into account Chas's definetely individual character, its probaly the least likely option.

I've just read the current "double" issue and found it to be excellent in content, illustration and the full cover colour. On balance, I shall be voting for three editions yearly as this should make life a bit easier for Chas who is not a young man. I take the point about three [larger] magazines being easier to produce and deliver on time but I'm not sure if it would feel the same without the traditional delays and upsets [it was always been worth waiting for]. There's a new profile at the moment which is very much down to Graham's administrative support. It good to be able to comment on line for example

As the Beeb would say, "other magazines are available" and I've made the observation in the past that they all have their individual strengths and focus, non more so than this one. In other areas of interest the mags often seem to compete by duplication but I don't think that's the case at all in this field.

Dave W
Closed Thread