UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2017, 11:45 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: 14" BBC only Sobell TV set.

Hi Andy,
The original MW36-24 CRT was absolutely excellent but at the same time I was restoring the Sobell another set which was a rare Bush TV32 was needing a replacement CRT so it was considered that the Bush was far more more deserving of the CRT.
Although when you think about the Sobell T143 is possibly a far more rare set than the Bush TV32. However, I have recently acquired another MW36-24 which was kindly donated by another Forum member.

DFWB.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 11:20 am   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I agree about Sobell David. They were very well built, had a good specification and had a very long association with Mullard valves and picture tubes.
There was always the snooty brigade in the trade that did not like Sobell. This may have been due to the two year guarantee they gave on their receivers including labour and in house service.
The TS17 series was a real cracking chassis with it's little brother the T346. I had quite a few customers with them in my early days. J.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 7:23 pm   #23
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

David,

Lucky you!
I just hope the tubes in my TV32 and TV 12 are good. The TV32 has a re-gunned tube in it and has the ITV convertor installed - I'd rather it wasn't there as the TV back has been hacked about to fit. But there again it is part of the Set's history.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:51 pm   #24
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Andy,
Good chance the rebuild CRT in the TV32 will be OK.
An "L" shape bracket has been found to support the neck of of the AW36-20 CRT. It's easy to guess which type of set it came from. It's a shame that in the long distant past a Bush TV22 or TV24 had been chopped up for parts. It was most likely an unfortunate TV24 because that was the fate of that particular set, to be simply used to donate parts for the TV22.
Anyway that's the CRT replacement job done. The receiver has been retuned to channel 1. There's just that tatty cabinet to attend to now.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T143_0126_3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	137719  
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:14 am   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Come on David, Man up to it. 16 coats of French polish and it should be fine. None of this sloshing on pints of 'Danish Oil' and a rub over with a dirty rag. J.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 12:18 pm   #26
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

David,

I look forward to seenig the final results.

A while back I attempted to remove the chassis from my TV32 but couldn't work out how it came out. What is the process for removal.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 16th Feb 2017, 4:11 pm   #27
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Come on David, Man up to it. 16 coats of French polish and it should be fine. None of this sloshing on pints of 'Danish Oil' and a rub over with a dirty rag. J.
Hi John, I've never used Danish Oil for refinishing cabinets. Is it a good substitute for French Polish or lacquer?

Hi Andy, removing the chassis from the TV32: The CRT is mounted on the front of the cabinet. However, the focus magnet is screwed on to the upper chassis deck. To remove the chassis take off the ion trap magnet, loosen the CRT neck clamp band and then remove the two screws which attach the focus magnet to the chassis. Slide off the focus magnet. Unplug the scan coils but there is need to remove them at this stage of the dismantling procedure.
The front control knobs simply pull off. Remove the four 2BA screws that secure the rear of the chassis to the cabinet. Chassis should slide out.

The Sobell T143. When it came to converting the set to Band 3 operation it was found that there was insufficient space inside the cabinet to fit a Cyldon type C or Brayhead turret tuner. For the compact 14" models Sobell offered a two band tuner which was to be fitted outside the cabinet, not a very nice solution really. I never came across a T143 which was converted in this manner.
The converter was designated as EX1.

DFWB.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 4:54 pm   #28
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Don't think I'll get away with scratch cover polish with this one.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T143_0119_12.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	137764  
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:44 am   #29
Brigham
Octode

That's one where 'look for a better cabinet' would be top of my list!
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:11 am   #30
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The cabinet sure does look awful but in reality it's going to be a quite easy restoration job. The lacquer has already been scraped off revealing an attractive veneer pattern, all hidden under the horrible dark lacquer. No unpleasant to use chemicals were needed, a simple scraper was employed. The cabinet sides were finished with nothing more than a dark brown paint and will be refinished in a same manner.
This was a very cheaply made cabinet which in fact made commercial good sense. Why waste money on an elaborate cabinet on a product which would have a service life of only six to eight years? By 1961 the vast bulk of these single channel sets had already been replaced with the latest slimline sets.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 17th Feb 2017 at 11:23 am.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 5:42 pm   #31
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Very nice veneer pattern under all that horrible brown lacquer. Even the side panels will take well to an application of French polish.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T143_0119_13.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	137804  
Old 17th Feb 2017, 7:03 pm   #32
unitaudio
Heptode

That looked a lot worse before you got rid of the old finish. Should come up a treat!

Regards,
Paul
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:31 pm   #33
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The cabinet side surfaces will be finished off just like the original, that is with dark brown paint. Colour chosen is Ford Rio Brown. The top and front will be stained and French polished.
Yesterday, the lower parts of the cabinet were clamped up. Cabinet is now strong.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T143_0121_8.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	137944  
Old 29th Mar 2017, 9:55 pm   #34
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The cabinet refinishing job is complete. Spray painted dark brown sides and French polished top and front.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	213658.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	140068   Click image for larger version

Name:	213824.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	140069  
Old 29th Mar 2017, 10:14 pm   #35
Oliver35
Pentode

That looks excellent, you've overtaken me and the Ferguson. I did consider going for this set, but I decided I'd hold out for something slightly older, whicH worked out well with the 988T. Which is slowly getting there...

Oliver
Old 29th Mar 2017, 10:23 pm   #36
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Oliver,

Possibly the next time onE of the earlier Ferguson models like your 988T turns up I'll have a go at restoring one.

DFWB.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:23 am   #37
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Many sets had painted sides inc. Masteradios. I guess the manufacturer's money-saving logic was that you would be unlikely to see the sides of the set when looking straight on!
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:31 am   #38
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The cabinet refinishing job is complete.Spray painted dark brown sides and French polished top and front. DFWB.
Great work David but did William Henry Fox Talbot loan you his camera to take the pictures? John.
Old 9th Apr 2017, 12:36 pm   #39
FERNSEH
Dekatron

An additional modification to the rear CRT support. The ex TV24 "L" bracket has slots in it to permit backward and forwards adjustment. In order to take advantage of this an additional mounting plate has been made make easy adjustment possible. See first picture.
The AW36-20 CRT has an electrostatic gun assembly. Focus adjustment is now by means of two series resistors connected between the boost voltage supply and HT line. This gives four focus settings, full boost volts, a voltage between boost and HT, 195volts HT and zero volts to chassis.
The second picture shows the focus adjustment tag strip.
An Interesting fault occurred yesterday. Small height variations were caused by the 100mfd sound output valve cathode bypass capacitor gone bad.
Work that one out!

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T143_122510.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	140707   Click image for larger version

Name:	T143_233954.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	140708  
Old 15th Apr 2017, 6:18 pm   #40
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

If you keep fiddling with it David you will probably accidentally knock the neck off the tube and then have to return it to the original magnetic focus tube resulting in all your good work being wasted. Take care there..John.
Closed Thread