UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:32 pm   #1
Johnbarn
Pentode

Question Roberts R200

I have recently inherited a very tatty green R200, knobs and handle missing, case missing catch ect. Serial Number 20298. It is the OC44/45/81D/81 series and I have the Trader sheets for it, 1449 and 1602. On initial switch on there was no sound but on inspecting the pcb I found a corroded and broken track round the perimeter. I bridged this and there was sound, but quite faint. On closer inspection I see that the L6/7/8 core is broken and at some time in the past someone else has bridged another piece of the pcb track. I have cleaned the wave change switch and it is working fine with good contact on all pads. If I connect a simple length of wire as an aerial to the orange wire at L4 on the ferrite rod I can get more volume on Radio 5 and a few other stations as well but without this wire it is very deaf. I have inspected everywhere on the aerial windings and all look remarkably sound; the voltages on the six transistors are in line with the Trader sheet figures and the wave change switch is good. The broken core is still adjustable and does alter the signal volume as expected. Has anyone any ideas where to look next?
Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:40 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R200

Could be an alignment job.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:59 pm   #3
GeoffK
Heptode

A broken core in the oscillator windings is going to affect its ability to tune the coils correctly. Have the other cores been moved. Check C2 and C9 for correct adjustment, and L4 for best place on the ferrite rod.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:41 pm   #4
Johnbarn
Pentode

Thanks for those comments Geoff and Lawrence. If it's an alignment prob can this be done without sig generators of some kind? (I don't have any) And would the 3/4 core that's left in the osc section not tune the coils correctly? It is currently positioned for max volume. Where could I get a replacement? The other cores are sitting quite high but don't appear to have been moved. C2 and C9 behave as expected and are peaked for max signal. All the windings on the ferrite rod look as though they are in the original waxed positions.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 5:19 pm   #5
GeoffK
Heptode

John, if the IF cores don't look disturbed it is best to leave them, they can break easily if they can't move freely. The cores are usually just below or on the surface. A signal generator doesn't have to used, just turning the cores for maximum output and comparing station positions with another radio is one way. The oscillator core could affect the volume of output if the coil isn't being peaked. Another possibility is a weak oscillator transistor or L4 making poor connection.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 5:34 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

Does it have those brown DCC (Dubilier) decoupling capacitors fitted?

Ron
Old 20th Mar 2017, 6:27 pm   #7
Johnbarn
Pentode

Thanks Geoff, the other cores look about right so I'll leave them alone but I'll check L4 joints and possibly exchange the OC44. As for the capacitors yes Ron there are 4 of the brown types but I can't see the manufacture's name. The electrolytics are all Plessey with the yellow tape labels.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 7:07 pm   #8
ronbryan
Octode

John

Poor performance (deafness) on an R200 can be caused by those DCC brown capacitors as leakage on the emitter decouplers can tend to bias the IF transistors off. I would change them for 250V Vishays. The AGC decoupler, a 10uF Plessey electrolytic should also be checked.

Ron
Old 20th Mar 2017, 8:28 pm   #9
GeoffK
Heptode

Though as TR1 is oscillating it is probably ok so leave until capacitors have been looked at, and the coupling of the aerial coils, check the switch contacts again. It isn't helping that the oscillator core is damaged, this should be replaced first if one can be found.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 1:54 pm   #10
Johnbarn
Pentode

Roberts r200
i don't know if this should be a new thread or a continuation of the last one but i have now now replaced all the brown dcc capacitors and the plessey electrolytics, and even the diode x1. The results are still the same - with a short aerial connected to l2/l4 i have good volume but without it practically nothing. In desparation i have even removed the wavechange switch and connected the mw wave wires directly to where they should be with identical results. I have never worked on such an uncoopeative radio. Thanks to geoff, ron and lawrence for the help so far - has anyone any more ideas?
Old 25th Mar 2017, 2:03 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

That suggests that the junction of L2 and L4 might not be grounded to the rest of the circuit when switched to MW ?

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 2:28 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbarn View Post
with a short aerial connected to l2/l4 i have good volume but without it practically nothing.
Just to clarify, do you mean the junction of L2 and L4 (the bottom ends as viewed in the schematic) or the top end of either L2 or L4?

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 2:58 pm   #13
Johnbarn
Pentode

It's the (orange) wire, top end of L2 which gives me a strong output when the wire aerial is connected to it. The wire also goes to C1/2.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 3:04 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

Does adjusting C2 result in a peak in the signal or noise at the HF end of the MW band, first with your temp short antenna then without the temp antenna?

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 4:36 pm   #15
GeoffK
Heptode

If you get sound when a wire is connected to L2/L4 then the oscillator, IF and detector diode X1 must have been working, X1 should have been left as this isn't the area where the fault is. As the fault appears to be around L2 L4 and the tuner this needs to be examined more closely, is the coil L2 intact, are the connections to the tuner intact, is the tuner making a good connection to its solder tags both inside and outside the tuner.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 10:32 am   #16
Johnbarn
Pentode

Thanks to everyone's comments and helpful suggestions I now have a working R200. It's not brilliant but works well enough on both MW and LW. Volume pot needs to be about 30/40% for listening comfort but it's good enough to listen to. Tone is good and the stations are coming in in the right places on the scale (Why is Radio 5 Live so loud?! Is it the same throughout the UK or only Northern ireland?) I can't say there was one thing that made the difference but replacing all the DCC and electrolytic capacitors certainly seemed to gradually improve things and I replaced three of the low value resistors R12,13,17 as well. The pcb tracks were retouched with new solder in this process but I really couldn't say that I found any dry joints. Alignment on a weak station, with the ferrite rod positioned to give min volume, was then done and the trimmers adjusted to position R4 correctly on the tuning scale. I now need to keep a lookout for replacement knobs and a green carrying handle.
On a general comment, this Roberts radio is a real nightmare of higgildipigildy wiring and pcb layout, are they all like that? With a Hacker you can at least follow the wiring through systematically. How come Roberts got the Royal Warrant and Hacker didn't?
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Closed Thread