UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2017, 2:48 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default A project from the back of the shed...

I was clearing out one of the old sheds and came across a set I had completely forgotten about, a 1950s EKCO 15" set (employs the same chassis as the T216). Now I bought this set years ago from ebay for a quid, it was completely battered and had suffered badly with woodworm, to the point that the case is barely holding itself together now. I was going to bin the lot when I thought about getting it back to life.

Following another thread (the Baird Vs EMI one) I wondered would it be possible to modify a 405 set such as this to 240 lines? I think the set would be a good candidate, a nice big 15" screen and a chassis that is now homeless why not? I would be willing to invest in a 240 line aurora to run it from if this would be a possible modification. Any thoughts?
Old 26th Mar 2017, 3:53 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: A project from the back of the shed...

Quite possible. Ekco have a very wide frequency range with their timebase circuits and plenty of tolerance so I don't see why this is not possible. Just needs a little time, experimentation and the will to do it! Sounds like a model T164. I have a similar receiver with a tube that can only be viewed in a completely dark room and even then it takes a few moments for your eyes to get accustomed before you see anything at all! Mazda at their very best. Probably a CRM152B or the later CRM153. You need to get something on the screen first before you get too excited. John.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 4:52 pm   #3
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice, it looks like a T205. Unfortunately the tube has been necked having only managed to gain access on it, I heard they weren't the best tubes! I will try and source one for it. As a collector of 405 sets and being born after the transmissions ceased I have always been intrigued to see what 240 lines looked like, as I suppose are many other collectors!

Last edited by EF80TVVALVE; 26th Mar 2017 at 4:59 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:50 am   #4
Brigham
Octode

Has anyone still got an original 240-line set in working order?
I know 240 was generally 'blanked-off' after transmissions ended, (like 405 was to be, later), but has anyone found a complete one, or even de-modernised one to original?
Closed Thread