UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2015, 1:19 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Making a B114 battery.

I'm in the process of making a B114 battery for an Ever Ready model B and am very impressed with the work carried out by Bill Batterymaker1 in his earlier thread, now closed.

Here's a section of his picture 'borrowed' from the earlier thread which shows the PP3 snap connectors fitted to the wire free PCB sided box but I can't quite see how. What do the connectors look like before fitting and where are they obtainable from.

I have plenty of wire ended snap on terminals but they look different, too thick and not possible to solder to PCB material.

Are you around Bill, can you help.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PP3s.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	105187  
Old 18th Mar 2015, 1:54 pm   #2
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default Re: Making a B114 battery.

I am afraid that I cannot shed any further light on this because I too have the same question, this response is in part aimed to bring the matter back into the limelight again. Having seen the original article and a video I was left wondering just how the battery connections were made. In my case I would like to produce something a bit tidier than the insulating tape bound bundle currently used in in an Ekco Princess.

Regards

Ian
Old 18th Mar 2015, 4:58 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

At a glance they look like the insides of those plastic cased ones with the covering removed: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/05176-5x-P...item3f3df33222
Old 18th Mar 2015, 5:44 pm   #4
gramofiend
Pentode

The CPC catalogue has quite a few clips and enclosures for various batteries, also springs to replace those corroded by battery chemicals. Page 1737 to page1740. A fascinating part of a very interesting catalogue.
Old 18th Mar 2015, 5:58 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I bought some PCB mount PP3 clips from RS a while ago. I re-engineered them to serve as cross connect bars for linking PP3s up for a 90V battery. It worked quite well but I put a little heat shrink sleeve on each one as I was concerned about them shorting out as they were just bare metal.
Alan.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 10:35 pm   #6
AlanofHove
Retired Dormant Member

Default B114 battery for 1940's marconiphone P20B

Hi all, this is my first post. I have acquired this lovely radio and would like to get a battery built. I've seen a previous thread about this which is now closed. Can anyone help? I live in Hove, E Sussex and would be happy to travel and of course pay for the replacement battery to be built. It may be of course that the radio needs more than just a battery...
Appreciate any advice.
Many thanks,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	139892  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:46 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Usable PP3 clips can be extracted from dead PP3s. They may need a bit of fettling with pointy nosed pliers every so often to continue to grip well.

Otherwise Amazon, Ebay, just about any component distributor......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Mar 2017, 8:55 am   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

But do you need them? If you connect one battery to the next and solder one of the common PP3 connectors with the plastic cover and tails to the end ones, with a fuse in line, job done.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:04 am   #9
Brigham
Octode

It's better to open up the PP3s and lengthen the piles.
Each PP3 contains six layer-cells. Add four more, tying the pack with waxed string, for a battery of 15 volts.
Six piles of ten cells fits easily into the original size case, to give 90 volts.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 11:44 am   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
But do you need them? If you connect one battery to the next and solder one of the common PP3 connectors with the plastic cover and tails to the end ones, with a fuse in line, job done.
They make take up too much room to fit a replica case if connected like that.

See this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=13491

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 1:22 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: B114 battery for 1940's marconiphone P20B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanofHove View Post
Hi all, this is my first post. I have acquired this lovely radio and would like to get a battery built. I've seen a previous thread about this which is now closed. Can anyone help?
Appreciate any advice.
Alan
This firm make a range of batteries for valve and transistor radios, including the B114 (70V HT & 1.5V LT, as the original):

http://www.classicradioshop.info/val...dio-batteries/

Hope that helps a bit.
Closed Thread