UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:59 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Taylor 110A Capacitance /resistance meter

I need some photos of the internals of an unmolested Taylor 110A or B Capacitance/resistance meter. Anyone know the difference between the A and B model ? I am mainly interested in the component board layout which the HTsmoothing caps are on.
Mike.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:56 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Taylor 110A Capacitance /resistance meter

Mike,

If you look in my profile you should see a link to my photo album, there's two photos of a 110B board in there.

Let me know if you need anything else photowise.

Andrew
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:19 pm   #3
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Andrew, thanks for the post. It looks pretty similar to mine. Can you tell me the values of the capacitors on the Paxolin board and have the two large Tcc caps have a resistor between them, and what value it is.
I am trying to get this meter back to original spec, so any info is most useful.
A circuit seems unobtainable at the moment.

Mike.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:59 pm   #4
Andrewausfa
Octode

I'll have to dig it out Mike but from my photos, the two TCC electrolytic capacitors are L-R, 50uF at 12v and 2uf at 350v. The two big Dubilier ones are .25 at 350v. It's just above me on a shelf so I can open her up tomorrow night.

Actually just looking at the photos I pointed you towards, that whole board has been re-stuffed with new capacitors.

I know there's a 'C' circuit on the forum but no 'B'. Not my most used piece of test gear I've got to say. Unlike my (the) comparable contemporary AVO Bridge, Hunts CRA and Pye Component Analyzer it doesn't indicate capacitor leakage with a Neon.

Andrew
Old 28th Mar 2017, 8:44 am   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Andrew,
thanks for the info. My electrolytics are both 1uf !! However the meter now works and is accurate, but I can only assume that the smoothing is not what it should be and is a bit raw.At first the meter was virtually dead, with no ht, but I found that one of the valve base tags was shorting on the nearby rail.
One thing I am not sure of is how to use the leakage terminals ?
Mike.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:18 am   #6
Andrewausfa
Octode

I asked the same question several years ago when I got mine and no-one knew. I think the leakage terminals just provide a polarising voltage and that's it. You would have to have a meter in series or something to make full use of that feature.

You'll have noted there's no definitive 'Leakage' switch position which means the voltage is on the 'Leakage' terminals all the time, between 130 and 140 VDC, so mind your fingers!

Andrew
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:51 am   #7
sparkymike
Octode

Ha, thanks for the timely warning. I had not realised the potential danger. !!
Mike.
Closed Thread