UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2017, 12:12 pm   #1
PedroDerry
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Radio

Hi All

New to the forum.

I have a Pye Irish radio that was my grandfather's, he was from Donegal, Ireland. I would like to repair if possible.

Can anyone tell me any history about this radio and if it's possible to fix it?

Many thanks, Pedro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4676.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	139903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	139904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	139905  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 1:15 pm   #2

Default Re: Pye Radio

It looks simple enough, it will be fixable (don't plug it in until checked) try a post in our repairs wanted section.

Old 27th Mar 2017, 3:44 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The Pye Dundrum factory made radios under the Pye and IEC brands. Their models were less closely based on Pye UK models than you might expect, and service info can be hard to find, but they are conventional enough sets.

Do you have any experience with electronics? It shouldn't be difficult for an experienced restorer to repair this radio, but if you are a complete beginner then there will be a lot to learn. Don't power it up to 'see if it works' if it's been in storage for many years, as there are safety checks to be made and a few critical components to be checked and probably replaced.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:15 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is from 1957. Looks AM only from what I can make out. Can't see valve numbers - if they start with "E" the chassis will be mains isolated, if "U" the chassis could be live unless it is wired to neutral.