UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:08 pm   #1
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Black outlines?

Hi guys can anyone tell me what causes the black outline around very white things in old 405 line recordings? I think I've also seen it on black and white 525 line US recordings
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:21 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Black outlines?

Is it the halo from the image orthicon cameras? It was there on UK shows as well.
Edit. It shows on this video, about 2 mins in on the piano, enjoy the clip classic jazz musicians.
https://youtu.be/02VlSqd401I

Last edited by Nuvistor; 22nd Mar 2017 at 10:24 pm. Reason: Video clip link
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 7:49 pm   #3
hannahs radios
Hexode

Yes that's the effect, I mean it was more evident with 405 line recordings. I did enjoy that though.

Thanks.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:55 pm   #4
Brigham
Octode

I had always associated it with the combination of 'dazzle' and positive video modulation.
Obviously not, as the clip shows. Possibly just straightforward 'dazzle', then?
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:02 pm   #5
red16v
Heptode

If you wiki "image orthicon" and then look up 'dark halo' under the entry, you'll find an explanation for the effect.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:18 pm   #6
gingpeakin
Hexode

Puddled highlights.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 11:42 pm   #7
Nicklyons2
Octode

Yes, it's the effect of highlights on cameras using image orthicon tubes. it was seen to best effect on the early space rocket launches where the white-hot rocket exhaust was surrounded by an huge black halo. White shirt collars were pretty good at showing the effect, although it could sometimes be partially hidden by a black suit jacket.

The effect generally looked much worse on US material because 3 inch tubes were the standard in the US whereas the UK usage was (the BBC inspired development) 4.5 inch tubes which, proportionally exhibited the effect less.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 12:54 am   #8
hannahs radios
Hexode

Thanks guys I'll look it up on Wiki. I think the worst example was in the film of an orchestra playing and they had silver candle holders with lit candles. The reflections of the studio lights produced black effects and of course the candle flames did too. It was a comedy orchestra the name of which now escapes me
Closed Thread