UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2017, 7:36 pm   #1
John Earland
Hexode

Default Bellset 59A?

Hi everyone, I hope you someone is going to be ale to help.
I've bought a bellset 59A and I attach a picture of the internal connections. I have wired it up to a 232 and I can dial out and receive calls but the bells don't ring so I have three questions really...
Do I need to install a 3.3k ohm resistor?
Do I need to alter the coil wires at all?
Can someone let me now the line in and telephone to bellset connectors are connected?

Sorry but I've been tryong for hours!!
Help!
Best wishes
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59a.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	139158  
Old 12th Mar 2017, 8:06 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Bellset 59A?

You don't mention how you've wired it up.

There should be three straps between Terminals 1 to 2, 3 to 4 plus 5 to 6.
The line cord should be connected - blue to terminal 1 and white to terminal 6. If you've got more than the one telephone across the line, wise to put a 3.3K resistor to replace the strap between say 3 and 4 (but could be put in place of any of the straps).

Should then be plugged into a two way adapter with the telephone in the other socket.

I assume that a known working telephone rings in the socket? Ideally try it before any ADSL filters. Are other phones on the line ringing when the Bell 59A isn't ringing.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 8:20 pm   #3
John Earland
Hexode

Thank you for this. I wonder whether the bell's coils are ok. I will get a 3.3k ohm resistor any way so thank you for you advice. I will try it out and let you know-thanks again.
John
Old 12th Mar 2017, 8:27 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Do you have a multimeter? If you do, you can check the bell coils by measuring their resistance.

They should have a resistance of 500 Ohms each. So set the multimeter to a suitable resistance range (the 2k range is the right one on most digital multimeters) and _with the bell set disconnected from the telephone line_ put one probe on terminal 2 and the other on terminal 3. Repeat with the probes on terminals 4 and 5. You should read 500 ohms in each case. If not, then that particular coil is faulty.

Of course the 500 ohms is nominal. If it reads, say, 550 ohms then it's fine. You are really looking for a coil that is open-circuit (shows over-range (often a 1 at the left and nothing else on most digital meters) or short-circuit (shows 0 ohms or close to it). The latter is fairly unlikely though.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 11:30 pm   #5
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks Tony-that's really helpful-I'll give it a go.
Cheers, John
Old 14th Mar 2017, 12:17 pm   #6
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks for all your help guys - the bell set is working though struggling when it rings - I haven't put a resistor on yet though so that might do the trick. Thanks again!
John
Old 14th Mar 2017, 1:03 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If this bell is "struggling" to ring, a resistor will not help this. All it does is reduce the current drawn by this bell so that more is available for any others in parallel. It is far more likely that the gongs (which are mounted off-centre - known as eccentrically) need to be rotated until they are just clear of the clapper when it's at rest. They can be adjusted thus during ringing for optimum performance - though mind you don't touch the electrical contacts while doing so! Ringing current is not usually dangerous, but it bites.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 1:26 pm   #8
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks Dave I'll give it a try.
Best wishes
John
Closed Thread