UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2017, 3:41 pm   #1
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default PCB stripping copper off one side

I've got a project that requires to be built on single sided copper clad fibreglass board, but I've run out. What I have got is a drawer full of the double sided stuff.

Can somone suggest a way of removing the copper foil off one side, I've tried heating and peeling, its a slow process, for now I've just etched one side off, a waste of etchant though.

T
Old 5th Feb 2017, 5:38 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB stripping copper off one side

Don't know how big a sheet you need, but a 100 x 220mm sheet of single-sided FR4 Copper Clad PCB Laminate is only £2.99 post free from 'Jabdog'.
('FR4' is the designation assigned to glass-reinforced epoxy laminate sheets, 'FR meaning Flame Retardant', so it's not the manky SRBP stuff):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-220m...-/361231747098

I've still got quite a lot of double-sided board and used to etch one side off, but it's not worth the hassle, except if I don't have any single-sided board when I need some.

I mostly only use double-sided for front panels for home-brew projects.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 6:55 pm   #3

Lift a corner of the foil using a bit of heat to degrade the glue and then wrap it round a rod, peel off like an old sardine can.

Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:33 pm   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

Another suggestion for buying a small piece- Maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=...S++PCB&x=0&y=0
Forget the idea of paying for postage if ordered on line - go in to a shop and if they don't have a bit, pay for it in the shop and they#ll send it post free.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:20 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Can you not just leave it as a ground plane and simply spot clear it round any active holes with a 3mm drill bit or similar?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Feb 2017, 5:53 am   #6
joebog1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Lift a corner of the foil using a bit of heat to degrade the glue and then wrap it round a rod, peel off like an old sardine can.
Merlin has it in one. I have found that dragging it off "diagonally" works best.

Joe
Old 7th Feb 2017, 12:01 pm   #7
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Ok thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to try merlins idea this evening, I bought crates of allsorts of offcuts about 20 years ago and am just runnimg out of all the single sided stuff that I use most of.

T
Old 7th Feb 2017, 3:19 pm   #8
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hi , although MerlinM's solution is ingenious, and answers your question, I agree with Chris's line of thought ...why remove it at all? It can't do any harm and may even improve things by making a more defined ground, if it's galvanically connected to the other side.

What's the application?
Old 7th Feb 2017, 3:47 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

If it's under a VFO or something the stray capacitance causes drift and all sorts. The board itself is a pretty bad dielectric apparently.

This is in RSGB/ARRL literature anyway. Never tested it directly.
Old 7th Feb 2017, 10:25 pm   #10
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Sometimes you really dont want a groundplane! I tried to build a Theremin 'Manhattan' style - and the groundplane meant it was too stable and wouldnt work as required!

I use a very sharp blade (10A scalpel) to 'razor' up a corner of the foil then peel it away using long nose pliers as a makeshift corned beef can key! As said above, diagonally works best.

I do this as I got a great deal on a lot of board at the Newark rally couple of years back
Old 8th Feb 2017, 4:50 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

One good way to get a 'peel' started at a corner is to use a very hot soldering iron to solder something to the unwanted foil: in the past I've used a short length of brass rod [old 1/4-inch shaft] on its side, then you roll the foil round it.
Old 8th Feb 2017, 11:38 pm   #12
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

I've not tried this yet, but I'll report back when I have, bit of red has got in the way.

Anyhow, the way I work is singloe sided, full plane copper topside with clearance holes where needed, and the wiring done on the backside, point to point style, I find it easy to do, and to build and modify as you go along, i seal the undeersid ewith a thick coat of laquer an or glue, worls well for me, even for VFOs and filters.

T
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:32 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ahhh, so not single sided PCB tracks then.

There is some single side copper matrix board available if you hunt it down- saves drilling any holes for that construction style. A Vero "spot face cutter" takes care of the holes needing clearance round component legs.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread